Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is better: morning sun or afternoon sun?

Posted by sharppa z6/PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 11:28

I'm planning to plant some grapes, more raspberries and an espalier apple tree this spring and the two locations in my yard are against a fence. One side gets morning sun and the other side yard gets afternoon sun.

Any opinions on which is better?

Also, any recommendations on attractive trellis options or tree stakes? I used green fence posts last year for a raspberry trellis but I'm looking for something nicer looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is better: morning sun or afternoon sun?

Sharppa:

I have always considered morning sun to be superior to afternoon sun for a couple of reasons. Many fruiting plants, particularly those like grapes and berries, benefit from quick drying of overnight dew or rain showers to help control fungal diseases. I also believe, but cannot prove, that morning sun provides more light in the beneficial UV spectrum, while afternoon sun has more IR light, which is mostly heat. This could be a debatable point, and we may see it debated.

As for trellis materials, there are any number of options, including hardwood, steel pipe, plastic pipe, and on and on. The beauty of an installation depends on how carefully it is planned and executed, although with fruiting plants beauty is not normally the primary consideration. While the common green fence post may not be aesthetically perfect, it is hard to beat for practicality and ease of installation. Raspberries often require minimal support if they are kept pruned down to 4 feet or less, which is better for productivity as well.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

sharppa-
I too like morning sun for the reasons that Don mentioned... though, perhaps it's because he taught it to me!

If you look at my "My Page", you'll see how I make my trellises out of iron pipe.

-Glenn

o

Don's right as usual. Drying off the dew makes a big difference in fungus control. Also, during the summer months, the trees will be able to use the sun better as the stomates close when temps get around 90 and above.

o

Morning sun will help with frost protection as it will warm the plants sooner after a frost event.

o

Ditto, for morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here