Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomegranate seedlings

Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 N LA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 11:32

I got some seeds from a guy in Turkey grew nice little seedlings. I planted them last year- how long will it be until they fruit? I've read maybe 5 yrs? I know they could end up duds but it will be interesting. They are leafing out nicely right now. About 12in tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomegranate seedlings

They'll take as long as they take, dependent on many variables. No sense trying to figure it out, assuming you've committed to growing to maturity from seed.

One way to get fruit sooner would be to graft mature budwood to the seedlings.

Or if you are really interested in discovering a new cultivar, graft some of the seedling budwood to a mature tree.

The fruit will be likely be less variable than something like an apple or a stone fruit that have been very extensively hybridized and grafted, so that's a plus.

o

Boy what a snarky reply! Fruits typically have some sort juvenile period before bearing- I was looking for an approximation. FYI, I do know poms aren't usually grafted- too many suckers. Thanks for the attitude.

o

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way.

o

lol I didn't see anything "snarky". You must be new to internet to interpret that as harsh. hah

yukkuri_kame really does make a point, I had mine in ground for 2+ years and still didn't get a single flower. Some people get fruit the following year after planting.
It just depends on way too many variables (weather, cultivar, soil, disease, insects, pruning etc.)

But generally I would say by year 3-4 you should get at least flowers if not fruit.

o

Ha! I had some pomegranates, started from cuttings of a neighbor's mature fruiting plant, that took 35 years to fruit - but...being an 8-yr old boy, when I planted them, I knew nothing of competition & juglone inhibition from the (then) young, but mature, black walnut tree, whose root zone they were well within.
Nearly 35 years later, when a new septic drain line was trenched between the poms and the BW - ultimately killing the BW - the poms began flowering and fruiting prolifically.
Was it inhibition by juglone, or just being shaded and outcompeted for soil nutrients by the larger BW? I don't know.

o

Thanks yukkuri_kame, it just sounded a little flippant to me- probably the usual lack of visual/vocal cues. That's sometimes a problem online.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here