Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical Forest in Milan,Italy

Posted by Bradybb WA8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 11:33

I saw this article today.It should be interesting to see if they can manage it for the long run.
Someone commented at the end of the article," imagine something like an apple falling off a branch from 60 stories up".
Maybe they'll forbear the fruit trees and could go with fruiting shrubs. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Forest Skyscrapers Coming to Milan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical Forest in Milan,Italy

SPraying would be a pain... could u imagine plum curculio 50 stories up?> Japanese Beetles...only good tihng is if you can keep the bugs from laying eggs int eh soil, they shouldn't be a big problem.

o

Not bad, ..another way to clean the air.
Probably no fruit trees are allowed up there, berries yes.

o

Looks cool, will cause more problems than it's worth.

o

I think the trees will get a squared off look eventually as they get sheared at the top where the next balcony starts. Around here, they trim the tops of ficus flat to stay out of the power lines. They could take the time to thin them and keep a pretty shape on top but it's faster and cheaper to shear them flat so that's how they look. Now what I think would be nice is horizontal connectors between the buildings with plants trailing down or used as a shade tunnel. I always liked the futuristic space station/ lunar colony drawings with the arboretum in the bubble. Who is going to re pot the trees in a few years? That would a challenge.

While we're all dreaming of the fantastic, here's a Gilbert Williams painting for the fun of it.

o

Franktank, I know you were kidding but I think it is actually much easier to grow fruit in the city because of the lack of pests. PC can't overwinter on asphalt.

The best Bing cherries I ever ate were from a terrace in NYC from a huge old tree growing in the dirt courtyard below. I know they never sprayed the thing.

o

AFAIK there is no PC in Europe, certainly none in UK. The Italians are past masters at container growing and tree training. I think they can do it - and there is no mention in the article that they are contemplating fruit trees, only trees and 'greenery'.

o

What a mess if everyone has a different idea of what they want planted. This would have to be hands-off for the residents. It's a pain to wash window on sky-scrapers; imagine trimming trees! Look out below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here