Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Plant Grape Cuttings?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 11:35

Hello,

When I pruned my grapes last year (for the first time, had been letting them grow larger however they wanted the first couple of years) I saved the most promising prunings and rooted them.

I now have plenty of rooted cuttings that have been rooted for at least a month now in 12 inch pots. After they rooted and leafed out some I've been putting them outside in the sun any time it was warm enough (daytime temps in the 50-60 range) and bringing them in whenever the nighttime temps went below 40.

They seem healthy and happy.

My question is when would be the best time to actually put them out in the ground with the established vine? Do I need to keep them sheltered until after the last frost, or would they be okay being put out and experiencing some freezing temperatures, given that they are rooted and the variety is not normally bothered by the cold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Plant Grape Cuttings?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 19:07

You could plant them out now if the top were still dormant. But after grapes leaf out they are sensitive to freezes. It probably won't kill them to freeze the top off but I'd wait until after the last frost.

o

Yeah, wait til after last frost.

Also understand just because they are leafing out, it doesn't mean they have a decent root system. The may have little or no roots or fragile roots. So, once they go outside, I would leave them in whatever containers they are in until they start putting out vigorous shoots, at which point they could be transplanted with less risk. In reality, grapes are tough and just want to grow, and will probably be OK, but I think better to let the root system develop.

o

Oh, I know they've got roots. I started them out rooting in clear plastic cups to make sure I could see when they rooted. After I saw roots starting to curl around in the cup I moved them up to clear 2 liter soda bottles.

I try to do all my rootings in clear containers, so I can tell when they've actually rooted (in soil, so that they're not just water roots) without disturbing them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here