Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Peach Tree

Posted by peaches20 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 11:38

Hi,

I'd like to get a DWARF peach tree to keep in a container on my porch. Can anyone recommend a delicious tasting tree and also where to purchase?

And to keep it dwarf does one only prune or do you need to cut roots too?

Thanks,

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Peach Tree

I have a Bonanza that is going into its 3rd year. It has been a fairly decent producer of standard sized fruit of freestone variety. It is now about 4 feet tall and has perhaps 30+ small sized fruit and still blossoming. Many of these will be culled to prevent crowding.

The rainy weather we had this winter, hampered spraying for peach leaf curl. So far, I see no adverse effects.

The fruit is not quite as good as an Elberta, but still very close.

I also planted another semi-dwarf tree, that I'm going to cut back to keep from over-crowding. It is also a freestone type - and from all reports tasting like Elbertas. It is one of the "Pride" varieties, Eva's Pride Peach on Nemaguard, that I ordered from Bay Laurel Nursery in January.

It seems to be acclimating well, with several buds and new growth appearing, other than that, I can't comment on performance. I was a bit concerned because of our ongoing cold weather that it might be set back somewhat, but it sprouted new growth about 7 days ago.

Bejay

o

I got a "Dwarf Empress" peach bush from my local nursery. You can see some pics of it via the link below, but that was 2 years ago. I get at least 25 peaches great tasty peaches per year, but that doesn't include the 15 or so peaches that I loose to critters, etc. I really like the bush and I've considered getting another one... if I could just decide where to put it! -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Empress Peach Bush ripening date

o

Thanks for the helpful info.

o

I have Bonanza from Willis Orchard. I order Jan 20, 2012 and it was shipped Jan 28, 2012. Well branched and now it has lots of leaves and 10 flowers.
http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Bonanza+Dwarf+Peach+Tree?category=252

Link to picture when first planted in Feb 2012
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9755832@N08/6787113346/

o

Picture 1 Month after ordering and potting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Bonanza Peach Updated picture

o

Hi,

I don't think the dwarf bonanza will work for me as I'm in zone 6, southwestern PA and website says zones 7-9.

Peacphes

o

El Dorado will do zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: El Dorado From raintree nursery

o

This year I purchased two ultra-dwarf patio peach trees from Miller Nurseries in NY. They are just starting to bud and look very healthy. This is my first attempt at tub trees, so I can't offer any advice. However, I have made many mail order purchases from Miller's and everything has been very healthy (asparagus, strawberries, apple trees, paw-paw trees, blueberries).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here