Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting wild blueberries

Posted by m_lorne 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 11:48

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about transplanting blueberry bushes.

We have a cottage in central Ontario in the midst of the Canadian shield. Every year in July and early August, the area is inundated with wild blueberries, which are either eaten en masse by the black bears and the birds, or are picked by the locals and sold for upwards of $8.00/pint. Yes, extravagant, but there is a real market for these little drops of heaven. They are smallish for blueberries, but have great texture, colour and phenomenal taste. Also, they are pesticide free :-)

I was thinking of transplanting a dozen or so bushes to my garden area and trying to recreate the rocky, acidic, pine needle laden environment in which they grow.

Does anyone have any experience with transplanting blueberry bushes? Techniques, tips or warnings?

Thanks,
Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting wild blueberries

Am no expert. Would guess you do exactly what you do for bought blueberries. Lots to learn there.

o

You can try with some plants and see.
It's hard to create the same environment, especially when planted far away from this area.

Konrad

o

You shouldn't have to take plants from the wild because hopefully a nearby nursery will sell you Vaccinium angustifolium (if that's the wild blueberry you refer to) in a pot. i've planted them in my acidic soil in a spot that has good drainage and full sun. No special soil amendments used although my soil is pretty rocky and acidic naturally. i think typical blueberry soil would work fine. Good luck.

o

I transplanted some huckleberries and they took OK, I live where blueberries do very well. Just try to get as much root as you can and don't let them dry out.

o

I transpalanted 3 wild blueberry bushes from my area in western NC into my garden along side some cultivars. I noticed that the wild blueberries produce many more flowers, so I will use the wild ones as pollinators. The 3 plants are doing quite well so far, and I have given them plenty of sunlight, so I expect them to do better still. You should have no problem with a transplant. With any transplant, you will have some that don't survive. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here