Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwilliams057

Planting apple trees

jwilliams057
17 years ago

I recently purchased two fuji apple trees and I want to plant them in my yard, but I'm not sure how to pick the best spot. I have a few questions:

1) How close together do they need to be planted for best cross-pollination?

2) Approximately what distance from the house should they be planted? I don't want slab problems and my husband freaks about trees too close to the house.

3) Our house faces the south and we get a lot of nice morning sun from the south and evening sun from the north. Which would be better, evening sun or morning?

I think that is all for now, but any tips are advice would be nice. I'm new to this gardening thing, but I'm loving it. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• dannic_az
    17 years ago

Do you have any other apple varieties planted in your yard? I think you need more than one variety for pollination; fruit set. I'm no expert, but that was what I have been told. Others could tell you more. Good luck! As far as spacing, it might be good to know if they are standard, semi dwarf or dwarf trees. Dannic

• mscratch
    17 years ago

Fuji will not pollinate fuji so you need another pollinator such as Rome, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Braeburn. You didnt mention as stated whether they are standard, dwarf, etc. as that will determine your planting distance. You can also type in Fuji apple in your search engine and get a great deal of info. Good Luck and happy growing.

• jwilliams057
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Drat! I didn't know that I needed two different types. I'm not sure about the dwarf, etc. It is supposed to grow to approximately 15 ft high and about 10 ft wide.

Will they still produce fruit without cross pollination, but just not at the same rate?

• applenut_gw
    17 years ago

Fuji's are self-fertile and will fruit just fine without another pollinator. We have many isolated trees in town that are loaded each year.

Sounds like you have a semi-dwarf like M7. The roots won't bother your house or your sidewalk. Take your pick on the sun, but the more, the better- you need at least 6 hours a day for it to fruit.

Be forewarned that Fuji takes at least 5 years to start fruiting, even on dwarf rootstock. However, once it starts fruiting it is quite reliable. You are wise to get two trees, as the apples are outstanding and much better than in the store. It takes a long time to ripen, 180 days and will color up (if you can call it that) long before the flavor peaks. Be patient and leave them on the tree as long as you can.

Warning: apple growing is addicitive, so start looking for more room around your yard for more trees.

Applenut
    Southern California

• jwilliams057
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Applenut - Thanks so much for the info. It is very helpful and makes me feel a lot better about my choice. I love fuji's and I can't wait until they start to fruit. Supposedly the one I purchased are at least two years old and have already branched so I hope that I can get fruit a little sooner. The vendor said next year, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• applenut_gw
    17 years ago

You will get a lot of blossoms and maybe one or two apples the next couple of years. But in about five you will start to get a lot of fruit set. People will not get apples off their Fuji for years and think that it's too high chill a tree or something and pull it out right before it starts to bear.

Nurseries told us for years apples wouldn't grow here, as still do universities, master gardeners, and other "experts" who ought to know better than to tell folks in different climates than theirs what will and will not grow there (without actually trying it to see if it's true).

Applenut