Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loquats ripening

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:55

'Champagne' loquats are beginning to ripen. 'Big Jim' not too far behind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loquats ripening

Mmmmmm Loquats! I have Tangerines and a few strawberries. How big are your trees? My grammie's house in Downey had a big loquat tree that had a zillion loquats every year. We loved it as kids. That tree never had any problems or needed spraying of any kind. The most work was picking the fruit. We used to have bbq days and pick loquats to take home and give out to neighbors. Downey has some beautiful sandy loam.

I miss that old neighborhood. In the 60s-70s they would have trick or treat night on the nearest Sat. so we would go on Sat. in Downey and then Halloween night at home in Orange County.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 13:48

Ah, the good old days in So Cal as a youth. :)

My trees are still small, but loquats are precocious enough to let fruit. I do thin the fruit out of habit more than anything else. Since I'm a BYOC fan, they will never be allowed to get bigger than I can reach standing on the ground. But you are right, I see a lot of monster loquats around town.

o

I have a potted grafted 8 foot loquat that in past years I would cart in and out of the house in December to allow the bees to pollinate it, and the best I would do would be one or two loquats a year. This year I just gave up and just left it inside and of course the tree is loaded with fruit now.I wonder whether I had been freezing out the blossoms. I don't expect mine to ripen until May.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 12:56

creekweb, I hadn't thought of loquat as an indoor plant, but the tropical look in a tall sun room is a winning idea. Nice to know that loquats are self pollinating. I had to research to verify. It's surprising seeing the way that bees are drawn to the flowers.

o

It makes a nice looking house plant with fragrant blossoms during the winter, but without supplemental lighting I'm not yet sold on its suitability as an inside fruiting plant. Most of the fruiting season is inside under a weak winter sun with limited hours of direct sunlight, probably not enough to produce sweet fruits. Fruits so far have been mediocre.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here