Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Egg Euro Plum

Posted by thapranksta Mid TN 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 12:00

Does anyone have experience with this plum? Does it have the same issues with rot as the other Euros in humid, hot areas?

Right now, I have a pair of J. plums and thinking of adding 1 euro that is capable of not producing a nightmare of rot and disease problems.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Egg Euro Plum

Not one I grow but I wonder why you single out that one. My advice would be to run with the latest ripening variety that can be grown and ripened in your climate so that it might ripen after the worst humidity of summer. The fruit can take some frost as long as temps don't go too far down into the '20's. Their high sugar stops them from easily freezing.

European plums bloom after J's so at least the flower buds are more likely to survive a frosty spring.

o

Thanks for the reply. I asked about the yellow egg in particular because I don't see particular information about it on the forum. I have read, however, it could have some good disease resistance and it is good eaten fresh if left on the tree long enough.

Really what I am trying to do is decide if there is another stone fruit (for fresh eating) that I would like to add. Nectarines and euro plums have always seemed forbidden for backyard growers in the Southeast from what I have read because of rot issues. So if you have any specific recommendation with euro plum that would be great to try, I am all ears.

o

Wish I could help, but all my experience with E. plums is in SE NY. If you are willing to do a couple fungicide sprays with Monterey Fungus Fighter or maybe 3 with Captan in the weeks before ripening maybe rot wouldn't keep you from a harvest. You could try something like Empress.

o

I grew Yellow Egg in Virginia in the 70's and 80's. Yes it was very susceptible to brown rot. Cant' say much for the flavor, even when the brown rot is controlled with copper fungicides. I planted it because we had a delicious yellow freestone plum when I was a kid. Yellow Egg was definitely not it.

o

Thanks, I think I am going to avoid the Yellow Egg and look for a late ripening variety as suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here