Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I prune my asian pear

Posted by rehabbingisgreen Z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 12:00

I'm not sure how to prune this tree and I am really afraid of messing it up, this is my favorite tree. It has been growing 1 to 2 feet a year since we got it in the ground. It has been planted now for about 3 years and did have a couple fruit last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I prune my asian pear

Nice looking tree! Now ask 100 different people how to prune it and you'll get 100 different answers. Here's what I would do:

1) Remove any branches that are more than half the size of the main trunk, a.k.a., the central leader. If you don't, such vigorous branches will compete for dominance with the central leader and shade the rest of the tree too much, which will result in less fruit and/or inferior quality fruit.

2) Remove any damaged or diseased wood. I don't see any on the picture, but take a look and make sure.

3) If you would like to control the size of your tree, then lop off the top of the central leader and all branches as high as you can reach. This will help keep your fruit closer to the ground so you won't need ladders to grab it all.

4) Use spreaders, weights, or tie down all branches other than the central leader more towards horizontal. The closer your branches get to horizontal, the more sunlight they will get and the more fruit they will produce. Keep the branches down for a year or two until the bark grows enough to hold them down that way permanently.

And that is about it for the basics. There are 100 other things that you *could* do, but those are the basic things that you should consider to achieve a more productive tree.

Happy pruning!

o
RE: How do I prune my asian pear

Thank you so very much! I braved it and got out there and got most of the pruning done. I cut a good bit of height off too and I was afraid to do that but I really am happy I did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here