Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning unmaintained apple tree?

Posted by dougan778 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:01

I have two apple trees in my yard. One is young and small, but the other is mature. I'm no expert, but it looks as though it hasn't been pruned in awhile. It seems like all of the apples are growing on the south side of the tree, which makes me think there's not enough light penetrating the tree.

Would you recommend pruning the south side of the tree to help with penetration? How serious of a pruning job should I do? Should I only go for the new growth/small branches or is it OK if I cut through some of the bigger branches? I don't want to do too much and damage the tree or reduce the fruit.

Sap isn't flowing yet. Picture is from the southwest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning unmaintained apple tree?

If there is a commercial orchard nearby take a look at how open the trees are- you will see that there are not more than 4 major branches coming off any 4' of trunk and an open center tree needs no more than 4 main branches altogether (I generally prefer only 3).

What you need is a lot of thinning cuts of entire branches right to the trunk to begin with until the tree is reasonably open- a point that is difficult to explain, but the old timers used to say you haven't pruned an apple tree enough until you can throw a cat through it.

Don't get to this point only by removing branches where they are attached to the trunk but also remove secondary and tertiary branches that crowd each other. How much and which smaller wood you leave on your main wood should be determined by each scaffold having about equal access to light and equal territory without any overlapping wood from competing scaffolds.

The greater the diameter of the scaffold or secondary branch the more secondary and/or tertiary wood should be left connected to it.

You won't kill this tree by removing too much wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here