Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelostchin

Lower portion of raspberry bush turning yellow

thelostchin
11 years ago

Hi Gardenweb! This is my first time posting as a new member, but I've been reading these forums for awhile now! Today, I need some expert opinions on whether my poor raspberry bush is dying. The lower portion of my plant is looking droopy, sad, and yellow. some of the leaves have some holes. I don't know if it is damage from when we were planting it last weekend or if it's not doing well. I think I have clay soil and prior to planting it, I used Amend soil, peat moss, cow manure, some potting mix and mixed it around in the home I dug for it.

Please help!

This post was edited by thelostchin on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 12:16

Comments (14)

• thelostchin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another photo of it

• jtburton
    11 years ago

If the soil is clay, you would be better off planting the raspberry in a raised bed or at least mound the soil to allow the roots to set higher for better drainage. I killed off several raspberries until I figured that out but my soil is nearly all clay, so it was a requirement. You can test the drainage by digging a hole of equal depth and pouring water in until it pools. If it takes more than a few hours to drain, then wet soil could be an issue.

Chlorosis, iron deficiency, can also cause yellowing of the leaves. You can add back in the iron to correct the problem.

And the final answer is soil pH. If the soil is too acidic or too alkaline, you could end up with sickly plant. You can test it and then amend it as necessary to get to the range for raspberries(about 5.5 - 7 pH).

• thelostchin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your response.

Even though I added amend, manure, peat and potting soil, you don't think that is enough?

The top of the plant is still putting out new growth, though. Does the plant look like it may die even though the top is still putting out new growth?

• jtburton
    11 years ago

Your plant looks fairly mature, perhaps 1-gallon potted plant? If you kept the root ball and dirt intact in the transfer, then the iron and pH issues probably aren't going to be an instant issue. How much did you water it? You can also get yellow leaves from over watering too (as well as under watering)?

• thelostchin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did keep the root ball and dirt intact during the transfer. I thoroughly watered it the first 2 days and its been every other day since.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Thelostchin,

What is your soil like? Sand or? Give it a little epsom salts like from the drugstore just a couple Tablespoons scattered near the root ball and watered in.

• abz5b
    11 years ago

Too much water could definitely be your problem. Raspberries where I am at require very little water almost none in the spring until it gets hotter out. Ive killed off several raspberries by overwatering. Much more sensitive than my blackberries.

• thelostchin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bamboo_rabbit: I think I have clay soil and prior to planting it, I used Amend soil, peat moss, cow manure, some potting mix and mixed it around in the home I dug for it.

ABz5b: Thanks! Are the pictures looking like I over-watered? It gets quite warm where I am (Southern CA). Where are you located? How often should I water?

• abz5b
    11 years ago

During the summer I water 2 times per week. anything more than that and I start having the yellow leaf problem that your plants are showing. It absolutely could be iron or a few other things. But i know ive had that exact same problem when overwatering mine. Summer here is 90ish or so degrees.

Dont let the soil get bone dry. But do not let it get soaked. They are prone to several soil based diseases as well. You will notice you are underwatering the plant when the top of the plant starts to droop over. Pretty noticable :)

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

If those are the original leaves from when you purchased the plant I wouldn't worry. All the leaves since transplant look healthy and are adapted to the sun/conditions where it is planted. The original leaves are not.

Plant looks good! Don't baby it but don't neglect it :)

• jtburton
    11 years ago

I would back off on the watering and see if it gets better. If your soil is clay, even with your soil amendments, that extra water could be pooling up around the roots. It doesn't take long before the roots will start being damaged and the plant will be a goner. Certain varieties are better at dealing with wet soil. Which variety did you buy? I found heritage raspberry to be unforgiving of wet soil.

• abz5b
    11 years ago

My heritage had the same problem, Caroline faired much better for me.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Way too early after transplant to worry about a few yellow lower leaves.

Don't water unless the top 2 or 3 inches of soil have gone fairly dry.

If you amended just the planting hole, the original canes will do fine, but when future new canes spread outside the original hole, you may develop a root rot problem if your soil is truly clay-like.