Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross Pollinator Options for Myra Fuji

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 12:20

Have a question about possible cross pollinator options for a new Myra Fuji I just received from Cummins Nursery. I cannot squeeze the Myra Fuji down where I have my other Fuji's and my Cripps (the cross pollinator for my Fuji's), so, I'm going to have to place it in another area which will be about 200' or more (and on the other side my my house) from my other apple trees. I have a few more apples to put in, namely Goldrush, Pink Pearl, Hidden Rose, and eventually a Pink Parfait and a Rubaiyat from Greenmantle. Wondering if any of these will be good cross pollinators for the Myra, and also for each other? Trying to find a comprehensive table of apple blossom bloom times, and haven't been able to find one. Applenut, figured you might be able to give me an idea if grouping these apples will provide enough cross pollination for each other, especially the Myra Fuji?

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross Pollinator Options for Myra Fuji

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 20:55

Patty:

Your getting like me. So many varieties you'll have pollen for anything. I'd say relax and let the bees handle the rest.

o

Heh, heh :-) Fortunately, we have a gazillion bees here, and they are very busy. My yard has so many bees due to all the rosemary and lavendar (as well as many succulents and California natives), that I can't imagine they can't make it over the house from the Cripps in the back, to this new Myra Fuji in the front. Also, the guys at Cummins Nursery felt that the other 5 varieties I'll have planted in the front along with the Myra should do just fine as cross-pollinators. I'm going to have to figure out how to make one of Konrad's cool cider machines with all my future apples. Konrad, if you feel so inclined to build me one, I would be in the market, lol!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 21:25

Patty:

You may need to hire help to thin all that fruit. Seriously I spend 40-60 hrs thinning mine. It's not an easy job.

o

I've spent about 5 hours so far, just thinning the earlier stuff so far (that's a good sign for me, though - I'm getting better fruit set this year). Mainly, my peaches and nectarines are the one that are huge setters, followed by my Anna and Golden Dorsett apples. Some of my flat peaches/nectarines set so much, it is staggering. Just on the Sweet Bagel alone, it took almost an hour. And, looks like I'm going to have a "real" crop of Minnie Royal and Royal Lee cherries. So glad I took my trees down significantly. Don't think I have as mature an orchard as you've got going, but next year I should be very busy for sure this time of year, thinning out quite a bit more!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here