Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how low can temps drop after grafting?

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 12:22

I have trees in the ground that are at the stage I'd like to graft them at and the weather seems fine (not too warm or windy), but the forecast for tomorrow night is calling for mid to low twenties. Does that matter? Is it bad if it gets too cold on a fresh graft, and if so, how cold is too cold?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how low can temps drop after grafting?

I've had grafts freeze out.
Not sure what your hurry is - maybe you've been a lot warmer there than we have here, but I'm still weeks away from doing any grafting. For most stuff, I want the rootstock to have broken dormancy and be actively growing.

o

Thanks, Lucky!
If freezing is a concern, I'll definitely hold off a little longer.
However, the first of the callery pears that I'll be using for rootstock broke dormancy over two weeks ago. They're all "actively" growing now, but not as actively as if we had had warmer weather. Last year, which was, of course, a very early spring, I did most of my grafts the 7th and 12th of March, and I had very good takes. I had poorer takes with the few I did later, so I've been more afraid of warm weather than cold, but it sounds like the other extreme is something to worry about, too. To give you an idea where spring is at here my guthrie plum has lots of bloom already and a Kieffer is the first pear to be pushing growth especially from the terminal buds, but my apricot and peach and the serviceberries haven't started blooming yet.

o

You're ahead of us.
Star & xsoulangeana magnolias are in bloom. Red maples showing color. Clematis had 2 sets of new leaves on tender stems last weekend. Noticed Siberian crab in the orchard beginning to leaf; Flowering quince showing some color. Callery pears still dormant, though I've been a bit surprised that they haven't popped yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here