Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When - planting trees?

Posted by Raw_Nature 5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 12:42

Hello!

I am planning on planting several fruit trees but I am not sure where to purchase them. When's the best time to plant them, dormant or? Can you plant them with success any time throughout the season? I'm hoping I'm not to late...

Thanks
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When - planting trees?

its best to plant them.. when they are dormant ... trees with leaves take a lot of stress if you plant them with such ...

you buy them.. where you can find them .. i bet most of the hardcore mail order them ...

up here in z5 MI ... insuring dormant stock.. you plant them as soon as the soil is thawed.. and you can take delivery ... 6 to 8 weeks before leaf out.. if you can ...

which generally means.. in MI .... april thru mid may ... [though this year it seems that might be july or so.. when the soil warms.. lol ...]

first.. decide what you want.. then find out how to buy them.. then figure out were to plant them.. then plant them ....

ken

o

Thanks Ken! I really appreciate all your guys help!

Joe

o

Yep...
You need the plants to be pretty well fully dormant unless you are planting LATE - well after the last frost....

So.. That means it's pretty much OK to plant when the ground is not frozen.....

Where to get them.... If you trust your local garden centers - then buy there if they have the varieties you are after....

I end up mail ordering more and more from nurseries with really good reputations - simply because Garden Centers and especially big box stores just have too much mis-marked stuff....

so... Sure - you got yourself a Peach or Apple... but that's about all you can be sure of....

For example.. I bought an "Elberta" peach at a local Home Improvement store... but I ended up with a mediocre yellow peach that doesn't ripen anywhere near the "Elberta" window... and isn't reliable year to year - apparently because of chill hour requirements (and Elberta is dead reliable around here..) What is it? Miscellaneous... Yellow... Peach....

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here