Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Glenn Russell

Posted by MrsG47 6-7 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 12:43

Hi Glenn its Mrs. G from Newport, can you please tell me where you buy your Trazicide once and done gamma concentrate? Many thanks. I want to get my new sprays now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Glenn Russell

Hi MrsG47-
Just came in from the yard.
Believe it or not, I got mine at Walmart (I think it was last year). Mine doesn't say "gamma" on the label though. Just "Trazicide once and done concentrate" Now, if we could get our Immunox, Kocide, etc there, we'd be all set.
If you ever got into a jam and needed to borrow some just let me know.
Best,
-Glenn in South Kingstown

o

Thanks Glenn, once my trees are weeded for spring and mulched and the new beds are in you'll have to visit! Off to Walmart! We also have an Agway in Portsmouth that is fantastic! Our Home Depot is fairly worthless when it comes to sprays we really need. I buy my immunox at Agway or over the internet. Thanks again!

o

Sounds good to me! Let me know if you're still able to find it at Walmart. -Glenn

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 10:32

"Mine doesn't say "gamma" on the label though. Just 'Trazicide once and done concentrate'"

Glenn, I don't know if you saw it, but a couple weeks ago there was a thread on Triazicide Once and Done. Apparently Once and Done now comes in two formulations.

One has the active ingredient Gamma-cyhalothrin and the other Lambda-cyhalothrin. The gamma is the one that can be used on fruits. The lambda is only labeled for vegetables.

What's even more confusing is that there are two different Gamma versions. One with a higher concentration of active ingredient (which means a bottle will go farther) and one with a weaker concentration.

o

Ahhh, Ok, got it. Thanks Olpea! Glad I don't need to buy any for a while. Best,
-Glenn

o

Hi Olpea and Glenn. Went to Walmart bought the 'once and done' today but the concentration is low it is not 20% gamma which is what I was looking for. Guess I'll spray more than twice. Also Did either of your see my Green Bavay Plum question? Thanks guys

o

Hi MrsG47. Although I didn't read all the posts, I thought you'd just mix your lower concentration bottle at a different rate to wind up with the same spray you would with the higher gamma concentration. No?

With my trees averaging being at the 1/4" green tip stage, I'd estimate that we still have 3 weeks 'till petal fall, so you'd probably still have time to procure it online? and return your lower concentration bottle?

best,
-Glenn

o

Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 22:45

Mrs. G,

I believe the high concentration Once and Done is only 1.5% gamma-cyhalothrin, not 20%. Even the commercial version only has 6% gamma-cyhalothrin.

Glenn is correct, whether you have the high or lower active ingredient concentration of Once and Done, you don't have to spray more, it's just that with the lower active ingredient, you'll use a bit more of the concentrate to make up your spray. All of this is already taken account in the label, so just follow the label instructions whichever Once and Done you have. In other words both versions are equally effective if mixed according to label.

I did see your post on your Green Gage plum. I've not a clue what's going on with it. You don't indicate any problems last season with it and it still appeared alive in Feb. Now possibly dead. That's a puzzle.

I can't imagine winter kill would be an issue for your plum in RI.

Even vole damage doesn't produce the symptoms you describe.

The only thing I can think of that would produce your symptoms would be herbicide damage. A potent herbicide applied as a soil drench in winter would kill a tree as you describe.

Whatever it is, I hope the tree starts to push some new growth.

o

Thanks Glenn and Olpea! I must say, other sites I visit on the internet re: growing fruit trees give you the worst info! There is no place like home and I know it is here in this forum. Thank you both so much. I do have the right product then, and will use it as directed. Thanks so much! As for the Bavay, I'm keeping my eye on it. I cannot imagine what is up with the tree but it looks like I might have smothered the fruiting spurs with Volck oil? That is the only thing I can imagine. Also I had to steady the tripod posts in the ground to keep it from swaying in the wind. Glenn and Olpea, your advice is always welcome.

o

Hi MrsG47-
Indeed! I learned most of what I know via the people who have helped me on this forum. Glad you found us!
As for your plum, I don't have any of those, so I'm afraid I can't comment on that.
Good luck,
-Glenn

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 8:43

Does "once and done" really mean "once and done"?!?!!? Currently I spray about every 2 weeks with imidan. Could I really get away with just one spray of Trazicide for the entire season, or for at least a couple months?

Seems too good to be true.

o

Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 9:38

It is too good to be true.

Once and Done is a wild exaggeration. I'm all for promoting a good product, but marketing Triazicide as a Once and Done is deceptive to the public.

If it really were "Once and Done", why would they approve multiple sprays on the label?

According to university research, most pyrethroids maintain lethal insect residues about 10 days (14 on the upper end) with minimal rain. Hot weather breaks them down even faster.

That said, Once and Done is a good product, they just need to tone their marketing down.

o

I agree with Olpea that it is a good product, but I do concede they have a deceptive name. I like the fact that it's easy to obtain (Walmart), and it doesn't seem to have some of the problems of Imidan (REI, smell, won't break down if tracked inside house, etc). I also agree that one spray wouldn't do it. But, in Harvestman's posts, he suspects that just 2 well-timed sprays would probably do it for dealing with PC in our climate. -Glenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here