Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Lady apple seeds

Posted by cfarmerlady 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:44

Okay, so I opened my apple and found sprouted seeds, so I planted them and now have seedlings. From what I can tell, the Pink Lady can be self fruitful. Does that mean the tree will produce true if I keep it away from other "parents"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Lady apple seeds

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:57

You are unlikely to get apples like Pink Lady from your seedling. Even if self pollinated the fruit won't be the same as the parent. But it would be interesting to see what kind of fruit you do get.

o

If you have the apple tree, just take a cutting in early spring.
That is before the buds open.

Karyl

o

Seeds are produced via plant sex. The seeds from that apple certainly have Pink Lady for a mother, but some unknown variety for a father. Often times it is an inedible crab apple that does much of the pollination for the big orchards. So the resulting fruit will most likely be nothing like Pink Lady, just like a human child is different from its mother. There might be some vague similarities, but... probably very different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here