Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Varieties still have not broken dormancy... Sunset 23

Posted by ahajmano none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 12:50

I have several varieties that this have not broken dormancy, and I m getting nervous...

Santa Barbara peach
Plumcot (Luther Burbank intro)
Tri-lite plum peach hybrid
Snow queen nectarine
Persian green plum
English morello sour cherry
Pedro walnut
Seckel pear
Beverly Hills apple
Gordon apple.

As a comparison, all of the following broke dormancy 6 weeks ago:

Sunred nectarine
Cot n candy aprium
Dorset golden apple
Anna apple
All my pomegranates
Many more since then...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Varieties still have not broken dormancy... Sunset 23

What zone are you in? I have several trees that still have no broke dormancy yet. We are still getting temperatures down in the 30's though.

o

ahajmano. fill out your 'my page' with info about your zone, and the trees etc. that you are growing. With the many questions you will have it is an easy way for anyone reading your posts to instantly refer to what you grow and where. Hope this helps, Mrs. G

o

Well, he's in Sunset Zone 23 (see his Subject line). But still, good to fill out your "Zone" field (see mine). We've had a very long, cold, wet winter, so don't worry. Things will start to pop for you. My Snow Queen nectarine is just starting to blossom. All my pears including my Seckel are still dormant, but obviously alive. All the things you've mentioned that have broken dormancy should by now and mine are also in the same state as yours - Dorsett Golden and Anna blooming, all poms leaving out, figs setting fruits and starting the leaf out on a few varieties, several of my very low chill stone fruits blooming. But, my Fuji, Red Fuji and Pink Lady apples still not broken dormancy yet, along with a couple of my higher chill hour stone fruits. Patience, grasshopper. If you're really worried about life or death, a quick scratch test will let you know if your tree is still alive or not. Green cambium equals dormancy. No green cambium equals a dead tree.

Patty S.

o

Thanks friends.

I updated my page to include my zone. I will give it a few more weeks before I am more concerned.

o

My pink lady, gordon and fuji are still asleep. Granny smith is just waking up. Plums are just waking up. I think this month your trees will start growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here