Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to take Cuttings for Blueberries?

Posted by desertdance Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 12:52

I live in a hot place, and my blueberries are in containers on the drip system in my vineyard. One blueberry seems to love it's home, and I'd like to propagate that one. I'd like to rip out a bunch of landscaping hedge type stuff, and replace with this spectacular bush type blue.

Is now a good time to take cuttings? Or did I miss my window of opportunity?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to take Cuttings for Blueberries?

I live in zone 5, so only some of my info will help you, i guess...but I took Blueberry cuttings all summer every few weeks and noticed no difference in rooting percentages from early summer through late summer. They do seem to take longer to root than other hardwood cuttings that I have put down, but they do root! Any time that there is active growth, you can root a cutting. Do not use branches that are too old and hard, semi soft wood is best,and bury at least 3 or 4 leaf nodes after you have gently scraped off the leaves.... Use rooting hormone. I do suggest that you try to root them in a place that will only get morning sun, and you absolutely must have something over them to keep the humidity in, i use old milk jugs and they work very, very well..I like them much better than the clear cloches or soda bottles. What variety are you trying to root? Good luck, I hope they root for you...Donna

o

Thank you Donna! The variety I want to root is called Sunshine Blue Blueberry. It is a bush-type, and will be pretty in the landscape. I need a few plants so the birdies can have some and maybe they'll leave some for us too!!

o

Don't count on the birdies leaving you any! They'll just have more of their friends in for a party. Northwoodswis

o

what time do I have to wake up to kick those birds to east egypt? 4 AM? I'll do it!!

o

>>> up to kick those birds to east egypt? 4 AM? I'll do it!!
Remind me never to accept an invitation to dinner at your house ;-) Poor confused birds... JK

I think protecting against entry on "your" bushes, and confining the birds to "theirs", is your only true protection -- like bird netting or screens. But sometimes ppl come up with creative ideas that will partially help.

o

Is there a primer out there to show me exactly how to root blueberries? I have several blueberry bushes and would love to do this. I tried sticking some of the cuttings into the ground, but had a 100% failure rate. I would GREATLY appreciate someone explaining it to me step by step.

o

Chef,
Here is a great instructional video on how to root semi-ripe cuttings:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-propagate-semi-ripe-stem-cuttings

I followed this exactly when I attempted to propagate my favorite blueberry bush last year. Unfortunately, I did not succeed. Perhaps it works better with other species. I am going to try air layering next. Good luck, and let us know how it works for you.

Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here