Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your most stubborn tree to train?

Posted by blackrag 6A SE PA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 12:58

"Tis The Season"... With all the great pruning discussion and me finishing up the last of my own pruning, I came across a tree that for the 2nd year in a row doesn't seem to want to get along with me. In fact, I may paint this tree an ugly fluorescent color so the other trees will make fun of him.

Due mostly to help from this forum or reading directed from this forum, I have been increasingly confident in the process or "art" of pruning my trees. The apples, peaches and pears seem to respond to the standard of their respective central leader or open-vase style of training. My buddies mock, beep the horn or stop by with a 6-pack to sit on my orchard benches and enjoy the spectacle of me "over-mothering" my 3-4 yr old trees through out the year. (they never help, but want fruit.)

The last few days I have been pruning the plums and pluots. These trees by far are the gnarliest, crooked, meandering, "dog-hind-leg" growing specimens on earth. When you look down the rows of my small orchard of 52 trees, it looks like a spiderweb of cables, ropes, string & limb spreaders...

The worst of all earthen-kind is a European Earliblue-Prune Plum. That tree lays awake at night figuring out how to grow backwards.

Do you have a tree like this?

I'm thinking flourescent lime green might be his punishment.

The Methley plum right next to him is a stud, and out performs the entire orchard. Wish he'd take notes...

Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your most stubborn tree to train?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 13:11

Chad:

For me it's pears. Pull um down and they send more shoots straight up. After a while I give up and let them be. My plums and pluot behave pretty well. It's only their renewal pruning that I struggle with.

My bet is pears win hands down.

o
RE: What is your most stubborn tree to train?

Bosc Pear, N. Spy apple, most J. plums- but there are many in the race.

FN, Seckel, and Harrow Sweet pears are pretty well behaved without that crazy annual wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here