Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help!

Posted by OdeliahRaeD none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 13:05

Hi! My name's Odeliah. My husband and I just bought a house last year that has an array of fruit trees. We've been watering and pruning them, and these two peach trees seemed to be coming along nicely, but then suddenly the little peaches shriveled up and the tips of the leaves of the tree turned brown. After googling "peaches shrivel on tree" we got a variety of answers including that we OVERwatered and some saying we UNDERwatered! So we're very confused and not really sure what we did wrong and how to remedy it. I can't figure out how to post more than one picture, so I guess we'll have to make do with one. It's a pic of a shriveled peach and some of the leaves. When we open the shriveled peaches, they have a gelatinous inside instead of a pit. I had a pic, but again, I can only see how to post one. Please, if you recognize what the problem might be, help us out! Thank you in advance to anyone who might take the time to answer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help!

Odeliah, its hard to tell exactly whats going on from the picture of your apricot (the tree in the picture is an apricot not a peach). The tree looks to be very sick, it looks like a lot of branches did not leaf out at all; the fruits sound like they are dying from lack of nutrients. Usually this means the tree has a problem in the trunk or roots and is not going to last much longer. There are various causes of this depending on where you are located. You could have a borer infection at the base of the trunk, or you could have bacterial canker on the trunk of the tree. If you had more pictures of the leaves it could help. Just add a new followup for each picture.

Scott

o

Have you fertilized with anything? What zone and part of the country are you in?

The only way to post more than one picture at a time is to use a URL link from a website that has the pictures. If you use something like PhotoBucket then you can post more than one. Otherwise it takes a separate post for each picture.

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 1:31

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 9:49

As Scott and Milehigh point out, it's hard to tell what's going on without more info/pics.

As a general comment apricots are practically desert trees and need very little water. Unless your rainfall is practically nil, you don't need to water. If you were watering your tree regularly, that is probably what is killing/killed it.

o

Not only would more photo info be useful- so would location.

o

I live in Jacumba, zip code 91934. It's about as East and South as San Diego county goes. I have some more pics from Photobucket.

It's an apricot tree?? Man. We've been watering it every other day....that's probably the problem then. =/ I hope I didn't kill the tree.....

[URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/odeliahraed/media/20140321_091232_zps20bfa08f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/odeliahraed/20140321_091232_zps20bfa08f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/odeliahraed/media/20140321_090734_zps4b168e69.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r647/odeliahraed/20140321_090734_zps4b168e69.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to get some closer up pics of the leaves.

Thank you guys so much for all your insight. This is our first time dealing with trees and gardens and such. Obviously, we're not doing too great...didn't even know it was an apricot tree!

o

Ugh, the pictures didn't work. Not sure why. I'll try again.

photo 20140321_090928_zps04c7e2ac.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here