Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miracle Grow on Orchard Trees

Posted by manoaction 5B, CO, FoCo (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 13:10

I planted some bare root saplings from Stark Bros last spring, and I'm anxious to make sure they start the year off right this year.

I have plenty of the standard 24-8-16 Miracle Grow around from using it on flowers and such around the house.

Is there any harm in mixing up a standard dose and applying 2.5 gallons of it to the base of the saplings every two weeks this spring and summer?

What about on my blackberries, raspberries, and hop bines?

I'm sure they make a more specialized version, but I just want to make sure there wasn't a great danger from using good old miracle grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miracle Grow on Orchard Trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 20:02

manoaction:

There won't be any issue just don't apply it after about July 4th. In your area winters can come on suddenly. You want the tree to stop growing a couple months before serious cold. Other than that MG will work as well as anything.

o

M...that is quite a bit of nitrogen to be putting 2 1/2 gals around the base of saplings every two weeks. Do you have depleted/sandy soil? Miracle grow is fine...just about the same as other less expensive soluable fertilizers...but as you said "I have plenty".

o

It's awfully nice to have some ballpark figure of what's in your soil already. Over time P. can build up in the soil and block the availability of other nutrients. N. is all the young trees are likely to respond to. Your county cooperative extension can help you get your soil analyzed. You really have to know your soils pH at least.

At any rate- two applications, one just as they show first signs of growth should be more than sufficient. More is not better as the N is only needed now for the first flush of growth.

o

This is great info to have, thanks.

I know our soil is slightly higher than average on the ph, and it's composed of really dense clay. The only hitch is that when we dug the holes for the trees we replaced the soil with potting soil instead of repacking in that clay.

I only mentioned the once every two weeks because the box recommends that frequent of a use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here