Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Need Help with Blackberry Bramble Area.

The Name that Plant Forum has given me a possible ID of Blackberry for this rambling bramble we discovered on our new property. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GROWING BLACKBERRY OR ANY BERRY.

{{gwi:71720}}

I've never seen it bloom till now. It's in a corner of our yard, wrapped around a palm tree and scattered in front and behind a wrought iron fence. It only gets water from what little the palm tree receives. It has nasty thorns.

I'd like to nurture it to get tasty fruit, and understand how to manage it. Not sure how long it's been there. We discovered it while removing overgrown vines, etc.

Any advice or ID would be great!

Thanks!

Suzi

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Maybe a good idea to mention that the id suggested was Rubus armeniacus, Himalayan Blakcberry, an invasive in California. You said in your other post that it couldn't spread because it is hemmed in by walls. But birds and other wildlife eating the fruit can spread it far and wide. It might be a better idea to get rid of this plant and obtain a good cultivar of blackberry suitable for garden culture in your region.

Here is a link that might be useful: R armeniacus

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wonder why it's only in this one spot on our 1.5 acres if it is indeed wild. Some previous owner could have planted it. I've tromped into the wild lands that border our property, and down to the seasonal stream on our property. No berries.

We have decided to wait, taste the fruit, and if we like it, it can stay. If not, we'll round it up and plant a "known" thornless variety.

Suzi

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I like the taste of the wild Himalayan Blackberry but yes it can get out of hand.It usually forms large mounds when not managed.
    I read somewhere that Luther Burbank had some responsibility, bringing it to California. Brady

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that is some mound! Ours is so tiny compared to that! I need to learn how to manage whatever we have IF we love the flavor of the berries. Time will tell.

Suzi

• murkwell
    10 years ago

desertdance, your climate may have something to do with the manageability.

Any chainlink on our 2.5 acres that isn't in deep shade looks like that with some of the old thorny canes over 1" thick.

If it weren't for the spotted wing drosophila at least the fruit would be a silver lining.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Walls will not keep that in check unless the walls have very deep subsoil footings, a foot deep or more.

Your little thicket could have formed in five years or less from a bird-deposited seed, or even from a store-bought berry misplaced by a child.

In the autumn, cut completely out any canes that bore flowers/fruit that year. To get good fruit in SoCal, you may need to water it weekly from April until fruit is done.

Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Larry!

It gets daily water now, but only in one spot. We'll have to add more drippers.

Suzi

• eibren
    10 years ago

I'm wondering if that is Ginseng that is growing next to the little rubus in your photo. Quite a nice plant to have, if so.

I have heard that some farmers just mow over the brambles at the edges of their fields every other year or so, and that they actually get more berries that way.

We have dewberries invading our area. I allowed a few to grow in my garden for a few years, and they tiprooted all over the place; finally had to rip most of them out.

Original Author
    10 years ago

If it's my photo you are talking about there is no ginseng! I actually wanted to grow some, but this climate is not cold enough and it's too hot and dry. The OTHER photo may be a possibility.

Suzi

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions