Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Scaffolds to keep on a Peach Tree

Posted by jimmy56 6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 13:17

Here are 2 pictures of my 2-3 year old peach trees, Can someone recommend which scaffolds to keep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Scaffolds to keep on a Peach Tree

The tree in the background is a peach tree about 5 years old, here is my other peach tree.

o

Nobody has any ideas?

o

the two lowest are too low for my liking, that lowest kinda-big one I would keep, at least for now it is hard to know directions on these, but you can keep more then you need and decide later. But you want 3 or 4. 4 is not necessarily better then 3.

Does that help? If you want more a couple more photos from other angles might help.

No problems with rabbits or deer?

o

The photo doesn't really show the size and shape of tree that well, at least not for my tired old eyes. Remove branches more than half the diameter of the trunk and leave the rest. During summer you can pinch back branches you don't want to keep to favor 3 well spaced scaffolds at the height you like. Some prefer 4

Older tree looks under juiced with too much distance without new growth on lowest scaffold. Do you mulch your peaches with a 5' diam. ring? Soil well drained?

Younger tree looks good.

o

Thanks, Got rabbits all over, They really got my branches chewed up that are laying on the ground from pruning the apple trees, Went out yesterday and looks like the big peach tree in the background is dead, Young trees are about 4 to 5 feet tall and 3 feet across, I don't mulch but probably should, What would be good? Soil isn't very good, Was going to give them about 3 cups of 10-10-10 this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here