Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree Pollination

Posted by gardenermimi USDA 8a (So. CA) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 13:18

Hi: I live in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California and I think I am zone USDA 8a or 9 . I planted a Semi-dwarf Fuji apple tree, then uprooted it and moved it to a new location after a year. The first year, it gave a few small apples. The second year after the move, so far I have a ton of flowers but don't see much fruiting going on. We do have bees. I have two questions: is the tree on track? Do I need to do much else?

Second, I am thinking of planting a dwarf Arkansas Black apple tree that will need a pollinator. This new tree would be approx. 100-125 feet away from the Fuji as there are other trees near that one. Will this allow for enough pollination? We have several other fruit trees, vegetables and flowers in the yard and our bees are very happy. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree Pollination

Up here in NY state the bloom season is much shorter than further south so most varieties from early to late bloomers provide enough overlap for pollination to occur. Where you are you need another mid-season bloomer as is Fuji, and Ark Black fills the bill.

If I had your season, I'd be more inclined to try Pink Lady or Granny Smith, however. Most would rate either of these mid season bloomers as higher quality than Ark Black although AB is pretty good as grown here.

I was raised several decades ago in nearby Topanga Canyon and hardly anyone grew apples in that region back then.

o

Thanks harvestman. I picked the Arkansas Black because when we were visiting relatives in Northern CA, we went to an orchard and tried this variety. It tasted amazing! I have tried Pink Lady too but prefer the AB. I am not a big pie maker so the Granny Smith is not on my list.

From what you are saying, if I plant the AB, even though it's 100 feet away from the Fuji, it should still get pollinated. Is that right? I will be planting in the next 1-2 weeks. Thanks!

o

Obviously taste is in the mouth of the beholder! I like Ark Black as well but never tried it as grown in N. CA. The reason why I suggest Granny Smith is because I hear it's a completely different apple as grown in your climate and much, much better than any granny grown in Washington State.

The season there is a month too short to properly ripen Granny Smith, which you'd be picking in Dec. Believe me, in Australia GS is not thought of as being primarily a pie apple- it is considered by many to be the ultimate eating apple! Most apples aren't all that good when picked a month before being truly ripe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here