Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Beaumont Macadamia is Blooming!

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 13:21

I doubt it will fruit.

Just purchased it in a 5 gallon and it was a pick-up from an Ebay seller.

I'm very excited and will transport it to our new property tomorrow and put it next to the dwarf rosemary that are blooming and attracting thousands of bees.

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Beaumont Macadamia is Blooming!

Ooh....I don't even know what a macadamia tree looks like, never mind the flower. Though it is on my list to acquire.

Rosemary is such amazing bee forage. I've got two bushes as tall as me and just as wide, all bees all winter long.

o

You should Google Macadamia! Wow! I live in zone 9a, and they do well in our area. Many people have them. The nuts are the hardest ever to crack, and squirrels and birds leave them alone.

The flower in bloom is a beautiful pink, and is like a long droopy single chain of buds/flowers that become a long droopy chain of nuts. They are ripe when they fall to the ground. I'll probably put a canvas or net under them to gather nuts.

I'm pretty sure if you can grow citrus in your zone, you can grow macadamia!!

And you are right about the bees and rosemary. If I wasn't such a chicken, I'd get some bee houses, but I am, so others can have the honey. I'll buy honey from them, and sell them my macadamias!! :-))

Suzi

o

OK - I'm sold. Yes, the mac should do fine here. We only get an occasional light frost, and I pay attention to creating microclimates for tender stuff.

I have wanted to keep bees for a long time, but not yet. Too much stuff to maintain as it is. I hear a good hive in socal will put out 100lbs of honey per year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here