Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Fruitnut Pollination of cherry

Posted by kingwood 9/Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 13:22

If I recall you are growing Royal Ranier in addition to other varieties. Which varieties do you feel are pollinating your royal Ranier? My royal ranier is full of blooms again, but my pollinator (lapins) still appears to be about a week behind. I have tried the low chill varieties but they don't make 3 months in my yard (canker). Gave up on them.

I have had the lapins at least 10 years and the royal Ranier at least 8. Still looking for a pollinator. About ready to give up. I have heard of people in South Louisiana that have been growing black tartarian for many years, but I don't know if it would work.

Would appreciate pollinator suggestions from the garden web folks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Fruitnut Pollination of cherry

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 15:15

The best pollen producer for me is Rainier. It blooms maybe a week ahead of Royal Rainier in my greenhouse. I have so many varieties I can't tell what is pollinating what. And our relative bloom dates might well be different.

The best bloomers in general are Rainier, Bing, Craig's Crimson, and Royal Rainier. I've had issues with many of the self fertile varieties: Sweetheart, Skeena, Selah, Benton, and others I can't recall right now. I have no idea if this means anything in your area.

Are you getting fruit on Lapins? Stella would be another possibility but I haven't grown it because the fruit in Amarillo was poor eating.

o
RE: Question for Fruitnut Pollination of cherry

The first year lapins flowered it produced a few fruit that the birds got. Not enough to cover in my opinion. Subsequent to that we went into our 3 year drought. The royal ranier started to flower and the lapins did nothing. The RR has been flowering every year now and the lapins just started back. I think the lapins has a higher chill requirement.

Also while researching on the net, I read an old Houston Chronicle article that stated my neighborhood was considered zone 8b. That might be why I can grow varieties that should not be successful here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here