Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

container water questions for fruitnut or other.

lsoh
10 years ago

I'm currently growing blackberries, blueberries, cherries, and plums in 14 gallon rubber maid containers.

1) How much water do you estimate that you use on your container fruits? (I know people suggest watering to water drains out. But mine are on garden soil and I can't see the water draining under my containers.)

2) My potted fruit seem to demand a lot of water. I just saw a video on "dutch buckets". They used 100% perlite. But there was one single drain hole on the SIDE of the bucket so that some water always remained. I would continue to use my well draining organic mix. However, I've been toying with the idea of putting the container's drain holes on the sides, NOT the bottom, to keep a little moisture in the bottom. Seems like that's going the wrong direction given all the emphasis on "perched water tables". On the other hand, my plants seem to be thirsty. What are your thoughts?

3) There's been a couple of threads about growing strawberries in rain gutters. Seems like a good idea for saving space. But I grew strawberries in containers and they were the most demanding of water of everything that I've grown in pots (well, except tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets.) I've been thinking of trying the rain gutters, but putting drain holes on the sides, not the bottom. What are your thoughts?

Seems to me the potential down sides are
a) root rot, b) water logged flavorless fruit.
potential up sides are
a) less demands on my time to water.
b) healthier plants if the roots don't rot.

Please let me know what you think.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks