Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Navaho Blackberries in SoCal

Posted by plant_friend CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 13:33

I made a mistake and purchased a Navaho plant from Berries Unlimited. I live in Southern California, I didn't have time to research and assumed, wrongly, that blackberries have no chill requirements. I was planning to install on an east wall, and I live a bit up the hill so I can get away with planting outside my zone, which is like 11. I read now that Navaho has an 800 hour chill requirement :( Is there any point to installing this plant or should I just throw it away? My real estate in the small yard is valuable. Anyone in hot regions successfully grow Navaho? Anyone have an outstanding Blackberry for inland SoCal (Altadena)? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Navaho Blackberries in SoCal

It did fine for me last year at under 600 hours. I would keep it you will know in exactly one year if it will work. Its the best erect thornless blackberry I have.

o

Look into a product called "Dormex". If you decide not to keep it don't throw it away, give it to a friend in an area with more chill hours.

I don't know how they taste, but Choctaw only needs about 300 hours; Kiowa only about 200 hours.

o

Perhaps the more important question is whether you want to wait 16-17 months (fruits on 2nd year canes) to find out if you are right. If you are wrong, you'll wait another 16-17 months after choosing a variety that is better suited to your environment. If I were in your situation, I'd just chalk the $30 Berries Unlimited purchase up as a learning experience and purchase a low-chill variety.

o

Fruits for me in San Jose, which is 400-500 hours chill

o

$30? Is that for a 5 gallon plant?

Fruitnut does quite well growing brambles in pots. Maybe you have room to try several different ones in pots?

He keeps the canes wrapped in a circle so the whole thing is rather compact.

Finally - Boysenberry. I don't know what the chill requirements are but there used to be thousands of acres of them in SoCal. And they survive my San Joaquin Valley summer heat (90s to 100+)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here