Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pluot flowering/how many years

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 13:35

Quick question: How many years can you get pluots to flower on the same wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pluot flowering/how many years

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 16:00

Technically they only flower once on the same wood. But each yr there is a little growth on spurs and a lot on other wood. They can flower on any of that new wood. Spurs probably last 3-4 yrs. But a branch can last 10 years or maybe even longer. Branch renewal earlier would be better, say at 4-5 years.

o

How often would suggest cutting back a container pluot? I've got a grafted Flavor King that is getting pretty tall and won't have any fruit this year (it flowered, but no pollinator available, so no fruit :( ... Tempted to cut it back hard and get a lot of new growth this year.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 17:55

That would be a good way to force new growth down low. I've learned that renewal is best started early. Then each year you can remove the one or two biggest shoots and thereby force renewal wood.

If the growth slows down by mid season even the new wood stands a good chance of flowering next year.

o

Yup... I noticed that some of the wood from last year flowered, while the newest shoots (say top 6 to 8 inches) didn't... If i don't cut back now, i may end up with some very high flowering wood in a year or 2, which i'd like to avoid.

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here