Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these Peach trees sustainable?

Posted by thewilldog FL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 13:37

Hello, I've got a pair of FloridaKing peach trees that have issues. Both trees are about three years old.

Tree #1 had an animal crawl up it last year and broke off one primary branches. Now all the tree's growth is on the right side. It's not leaning yet, but I fear what it's going to do in another 3-5 years.

Tree #2 has a crooked trunk as well. It's primary branches are intact, but I'm not sure what it's going to look like a few years.

Side note, I haven't gotten a darn peach off these trees yet. Last year all the green peaches got worms and fell off. This year a late freeze killed all the tiny peach buds. I was at the home improvement store today and saw some young peach trees with nice straight trunks for less than $20. I'm seriously considering chopping these down and starting over. Is that a reasonable decision?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these Peach trees sustainable?

Tree #2

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 16:59

Will Dog,

Unless you are very concerned about aesthetics, I wouldn't even consider chopping these trees down.

The first one looks like it has some nice lateral shoots you could turn into scaffolds.

The second one has a "Y" that I'm not that big a fan of, but you could still cut some of that vertical growth off, to get the tree to spread out a little more (unless you want tall trees, in which case you'd prune off one of the "Y" branches).

Crooked trunks don't mean anything when it comes to peach trees. I've got trunks leaning every which direction and all kinds of crooks, but I just train the tree accordingly from the branches that grow out.

o

"Worms" getting your peaches is probably because you didn't spray... not a defect caused by the peach tree itself.

Next - if you are really worried about the form your tree is growing - prune it back to a more "Normal" shape over the next few years...

Thanks

o

You're correct, I've never sprayed. Didn't get a chance this year since all the baby peach buds froze and died.

I'm not that worried about aesthetics, just whether or not they'll avoid falling over due to their own weight.

o

That's more a factor of pruning and thinning out fruit.... Most fruit trees will set several times more fruit than they could ever safely bear.... You will need to heavily thin the small fruit off of the trees so they don't bend over and break...

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here