Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_rabbit

New blueberry BETTER than Sweetcrisp.

bamboo_rabbit
10 years ago

Those who wanted Raven's read to the bottom.

A fellow board member pointed out to me that the University of Florida through the Florida Foundation Seed Producers had a new variety on their website named Indigocrisp. It is funny because not too long ago I was talking to my commercial BB friend and he told me about a new variety that was coming out but at the time it was not yet named and just known by the numbers (FL-98-325). He was raving about it because it had the ability to be mechanically harvested...big deal to him meaningless to me. Turns out that Indigocrisp was the name they picked for Fl-98-325. For those that like Sweetcrisp it is good news as it scored better than Sweetcrisp on taste...something I did not think was even possible. It has the exact same crunch as Sweetcrisp but the berries are bigger and it is a heavy producer unlike Sweetcrisp. Great news right? Nope......and this is where Raven enters the picture. The University has been having a lot of trouble with unlicensed propagation so now has new rules and these rules pertain not to just the Indigocrisp but also to the entire bird series including the Ravens.

The rules are as follows.....

1. Plants must be purchased in 100+ plant lots unless prior written permission from the Florida Foundation Seed producers is given, they are the licensing arm for the University. They do have the ability to grant waivers for less than 100 plant lots on a case by case basis. Though even if they do grant a waiver that does not compel the commercial license holders to sell to you at all or a lesser number than their own preset minimum. If they have a 250 plant minimum this waiver from the FFSP does not change that.

2. A signed non propagation agreement is required before they can be purchased.

3. The plants can't be resold.

This morning I discussed this with Mr.Beuttenmuller who is the director of the Florida Foundation Seed Producers. I expressed my concern that the system was not fair to the public especially considering the University is a public land grant school. He was very nice about it and explained the why in detail but those are the rules.
What this means is I can't buy Ravens or any of the newer offerings then sell them even if I was selling them for exactly what I paid for them. Even if they did allow that which they don't I am not authorized to get non propagation agreements signed by others. He was nice enough to offer to grant me a waiver but that does not help at all with rule #2 or #3.

Seems we have hit a brick wall, sorry folks.

Comments (22)

• pharmachad
    10 years ago

Wow, bad news. Any lawyers on the forum?
    Maybe they can find a loop-hole?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I found some info about Indigocrisp linked below. I hope it's a commercial success for mechanical harvest. I think that would change the blueberry industry. To me the quality of Sweetcrisp types moves blueberries from a second class to a first class fruit.

They are likely working on crisp fruited cultivars with a range of harvest dates. Home gardeners would benefit sooner or later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indigocrisp

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

You could sell us pencils, for 20 bucks and each pencil comes with a free plant! I myself have no room, but it sounds like i would have to make room! It will probably be around in 10 years, and I'll probably have no interest at that point. If I'm even still here??

• emmers_m
    10 years ago

Set up an escrow account and do a group buy? Everyone signs the agreement beforehand, or gives a lawyer POA limited to the plant purchase?

• blueboy1977
    10 years ago

Exciting stuff!!! Sounds promising but we are going to have to grow them and taste them to be sure. Every desription of blues seem to be good untill you grow them your self. I find it amazing how different most cultivars are from one to the next but this one may be special, like Sweetcrisp. I sure hope to find out!!!!!

• rosieo
    10 years ago

I kind of hate to ask this... but... how much does it cost for a hundred plants? If they're selling them as liners, wholesale, maybe it wouldn't be impossible to buy a hundred, even if we only intend to plant 20?

• charina
    10 years ago

I've been contemplating that. Looks like it might be possible to get 100 for $250 before shipping. Perhaps next year I'll look into it more. Too much going on this year to justify $250 more.

• bamboo_rabbit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosieo,

They would not be liners they would be year old field run bareroot plants......but your estimate is not far off. Just remember that just because the Foundation has a 100 plant minimum that has no effect on the commercial growers as some have 500 plant combined variety minimums. Some will not deal with non commercial growers at all.

• sandiego4s
    10 years ago

Thanks Bamboo.

I would be more than happy if can I just buy Indigocrisp from supermarkets even though I can't grow it in my backyard. But I hope they can loose the rules on varieties like Raven, which don't have much commercial value.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Bamboo, just getting caught up with my berries and stone fruits, have had a bit of a whirlwind at work. If you are still able to swing either Raven or Indigocrisp, or both, you can count me in. They both sound great. Love Drew's idea, very clever!

Patty S.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah hey I'm in too, if it ever goes down. On both too. If it helps get it going, if a hassle no worries.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Raven and Indiocrisp -- If you don't mind, I'm in too. If it's doable... Escrow, workaround, or whatever works.

• inkfin
    9 years ago

Bamboo,
    Raven or Indigo Crisp or any other new variety - please add me on your list. Thanks.

• pml984
    9 years ago

Bamboo,

Please add me on your list as well for either or both Raven or Indigo Crisp. Thanks.

9 years ago

Guys there is no list. No one is getting plants. You're asking to get on a list that doesn't exist.

Pay attention and maybe you can buy your own if willing to buy 50-100 liners. That may be what I end up doing.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Hopefully they will sell to the public eventually. I'm pretty happy with what i have anyway. At least I have sweetcrisp and can try it, but my area just does not support these southerns. Hopefully the NHB breeders will use these new traits in the future.

9 years ago

Drew:

You can be sure the northern blueberry breeders are using Sweetcrisp or similar to get the crispness characteristic into northern material. If they do those varieties may be hard to get as well. For right now northern growers can try to grow Sweetcrisp like they do figs. The biggest hurdle will be getting Sweecrisp pollinated.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I have legacy, southmoon, and Cara hoping enough related to pollinate. All those btw are rated to my zone . Sort of the northern southern HB types! I could try others too. I guess the problem is getting them to flower at the same time. Sweetcrisp though is not an early type, well described as early to mid-season ripener by Real Flora. So hopefully they will sync up to the environment. My plant was super skinny, not impressive. new growth is a lot better. But I'm going to have to prune the old weak growth. So no fruit for sure next year. I need to remove fruit anyway as the structure really needs work. My other new plants are big enough and strong enough to fruit. I may allow some fruit, as the plants are doing well and huge for first year plants.
    My northern highbush plants which are three years old are turning into giants. I will get an awesome crop next year. All need some pruning.

9 years ago

Drew:

Forget the pruning. Go for some fruit on the Sweetcrisp. It won't fruit enough to hurt the plant, it can't. And you'll never get fruit if you insist on good structure. Fertilize to make it grow and hold it in bounds any way you can. I'm not pruning anything off mine until after harvest.

On any blueberry that's rooted in well you can allow some fruit without damage or slowing growth much. The key is a low crop load. With Emerald that means removing half the crop at the least and 80-90% on a first yr plant. On Sweetcrisp I'm not cutting off any fruit buds ever.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

OK, will do. It would be nice to see if any flower at the same time anyway. Not sure it will fruit, but we will see.

• Alder Trees
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey Folks,

I live out in Olympia, WA, and am trying to get my hands on several sweetcrisp and indigocrisp bluberries. Actually two of each. I checked in with Just Fruits and Exotics, they sell both, however, ouch on the shipping. The cost for two of each is not so bad, the shipping puts it near a hundred dollars. If anyone out there has starts or clones of either or each, I would be more than happy to pay for shipping and then some. I am desperate to get my hands on both, just not desperate enough to pay over fifty bucks for shipping. Help.........

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Alder Trees:

Anyone selling you clones of Indiogocrisp is breaking the law. In fact as I understand things JF&E shouldn't be selling individual plants of IC. Buy them now while you can. Five plants to TX is $100 and I'm just hoping they get shipped before things get shut down. The less said about this the better.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths