Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does dormant oil take to work?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 14:02

My only chance for spraying dormant oil before it will be too late is this weekend but they're calling for a 50% chance of rain every day. I'd like to spray it on and have it do its thing before the rain washes it away.

I'm wondering how long the dormant oil has be on the trees before it smothers the stuff it's supposed to smother? I know humans can't go without air for more than a couple of minutes but what about the pests on trees?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does dormant oil take to work?

Bart
Regardless of how long it takes to work you should spray now. H oil is rather inexpensive and even coverage for shorter period of time is better than none.

AND ... If there is a 50% chance of rain then there is a 50% chance that it won't and that is good.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 23:14

Good point Mike.

I was just wondering if I was safe after an hour, or 3 hours or 6 hours.

o

If you mean safe for the tree, it will not hurt the tree.

If you mean safe to assume it worked, I dont know

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here