Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseberries, heat, and shade

Posted by alh_in_fl none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 14:04

OK, so I know gooseberries don't like heat and that it is insane to try growing them in Florida.

Nonetheless, my son wanted to try, so a year ago spring we got three Captivator gooseberry plants. This variety was rated for the hottest areas (up to zone 9) so I figured it would have a better chance than any other type. My son put them in his raised bed garden box in a very sunny area. It gets sun most of the day except in the late afternoon. The gooseberries are all still alive and are putting out new growth for the spring. But they've never looked especially happy. (and no blooms or fruit last year, which doesn't surprise me).

I was thinking maybe I ought to move them to a shadier spot in the ground instead of in a sunny raised bed, so both the air and the soil would be cooler. The tradeoff would of course be that they would get less sun. Again, I am well aware that this is a long shot but I'm just trying to better the odds of success.
So, what about transplanting to a shady site? Any other suggestions?

Ann in North Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseberries, heat, and shade

Ann,
I'd certainly put 'em in a spot that gets at least afternoon shade.
I killed several 'dessert-quality' gooseberries, in full sun here in southern KY - I'm surprised that yours did as well as you indicated.
If Captivator works for you, good. Couple others that are known to work in hotter-than-usual sites are Pixwell(pretty low quality - but it at least survives and fruits) and Glenndale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here