Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kierska

Dwarf Georgian Peaches & Ein Shemer

kierska
17 years ago

Hi all-

So, as an introduction...I kill plants. I look at 'em funny and they wilt and die. I think if I tried (or didn't try) hard enough I could even kill weeds.

This being said, I've decided to try my hand at gardening. Hah! I'm starting with some trees and bushes- I don't know if this is a wise move, and hopefully you will have some insight for me. I live in San Antonio, TX (southern US- zone 9) and have purchased one each of the following:

Ein Shemer apple tree (about 6 feet)

Dwarf Belle of Georgia Peach tree (5 feet)

Dwarf Royalty Crape Myrtle (3 1/2 feet)

Carlos Muscadine Grape (two-foot 'stick')

I have liquid root fertilizer/starter, tree&shrub soil, and fertilizer stakes. My questions are:

1. Any tricks to planting these babies?

2. Will the peaches self-pollinate?

3. from what I understand, I need another apple tree to produce fruit- any suggestions of which kind?

4. Are these grapes going to take over my back yard? If so, will you come over and help me stomp them into wine?

Any advice would be much appreciated- I am a complete novice and am trying to do as much research as possible so I don't kill my new trees! I am also planning flower and vegetable gardens and am looking for varieties that don't need tons of water (we have water rationing in the summer) I'll be asking those questions in another post, but if you'd like to share your wisdom here too...

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (3)