Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Georgian Peaches & Ein Shemer

Posted by kierska South Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 14:07

Hi all-

So, as an introduction...I kill plants. I look at 'em funny and they wilt and die. I think if I tried (or didn't try) hard enough I could even kill weeds.

This being said, I've decided to try my hand at gardening. Hah! I'm starting with some trees and bushes- I don't know if this is a wise move, and hopefully you will have some insight for me. I live in San Antonio, TX (southern US- zone 9) and have purchased one each of the following:

Ein Shemer apple tree (about 6 feet)
Dwarf Belle of Georgia Peach tree (5 feet)
Dwarf Royalty Crape Myrtle (3 1/2 feet)
Carlos Muscadine Grape (two-foot 'stick')

I have liquid root fertilizer/starter, tree&shrub soil, and fertilizer stakes. My questions are:

1. Any tricks to planting these babies?
2. Will the peaches self-pollinate?
3. from what I understand, I need another apple tree to produce fruit- any suggestions of which kind?
4. Are these grapes going to take over my back yard? If so, will you come over and help me stomp them into wine?

Any advice would be much appreciated- I am a complete novice and am trying to do as much research as possible so I don't kill my new trees! I am also planning flower and vegetable gardens and am looking for varieties that don't need tons of water (we have water rationing in the summer) I'll be asking those questions in another post, but if you'd like to share your wisdom here too...

Thanks in advance!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Georgian Peaches & Ein Shemer

I remember San Antonio as a very dry place. I grew Ein Sheimer in San Diego and it was a very good tree. It makes good applesauce even when the apples are very small and green. You would need another low-chill apple like Winter Banana for a pollinator. I would think having a drip system or soaker hoses under a deep mulch would help fruit trees while getting established.

o

The muscadine is a very hardy plant and once established, will grow like crazy. Just be sure to prune. I believe they bear on second year wood. They put out extensive root systems.

The peach should pollinate itself. They dislike wet roots, a problem here but shouldn't be a problem in San Antonio.

o

thanks for the quick replies! I've only managed to get the crape myrtle into the ground so far (the others are potted)

...what takes my dog five minutes in the dirt takes me an hour...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here