Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my red rhubarb dead?

Posted by keepitlow 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 14:16

Rhubarb is treated like a fruit so I put it here.

I have 1 green rhubarb and 3 red rhubarb. The green sprouted and is about 1-1/4 feet tall. Nothing at all with the reds. I wonder if they died off? Or is red a lot slower to come back than green?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my red rhubarb dead?

I have grown rhubard (a few varieities) for ~10 years up here. FWIW, rhubarb is very hard to kill.

What I have seen this spring is that there is a wide variation between when individual plants are coming up. Most of this variation is explained by the location; plants which were under deep snow last winter have been slower to sprout than others. But even in the same bed, some plants have taken a few weeks longer to come up than others.

If you are really curious and can't wait, you could carefully brush away the soil/mulch over one or two of the plants in question and see if there are any buds making their way up. (Carefully is key here, rhubarb buds are fairly easily knocked off)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here