Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sucker branches on peach trees

Posted by alh_in_fl none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 14:17

I have two young Flordasun peach trees.

There are sucker branches sprouting out from each of them near the soil line.
I guess I have to remove them, right?-- and now while the trees are still dormant?
Can I try to root them to make more peach trees, and if so how?

Thanks,
Ann in north Fl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sucker branches on peach trees

You should cut them off. They are coming up from below the graft.

o

From my understanding that would be good rootstock. I would try and pile sawdust or compost around the base ofthe suckers and wait for then to root, cut off below roots, and graft your scion.. CAUTION: Do not pile soil/ mulch around the base of the big fruit Tree, it will lead to rot,etc. Just around the new suckers coming from the roots. Hope this helps

Joe

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 18:39

You want to cut the suckers off. They will take energy from the roots that otherwise would have gone into your grafted variety (Florida Sun). It's possible if you let the suckers go long enough, the tree could reject the graft altogether.

The peach is probably on some plum rootstock, as peach rootstocks almost never sucker.

Nurseries like suckering rootstocks because they are easy to propagate by stooling, as mentioned. However, they are a pain to me. Some you have to continually remove suckers.

o

Thank you. I will cut them off.

I'm not an expert/serious hobbyist or anything like so I won't be grafting anything on them. But if I rooted the suckers, would they be plum trees??

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 18:19

"But if I rooted the suckers, would they be plum trees??"

Assuming it's a plum rootstock (which it probably is) then yes any suckers that you could root would be identical to the rootstock (plum).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here