Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Peach and Plum tree now with early spring

Posted by dirtaddshp 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 14:22

Hello,

In the south alot of trees have started blooming due to the very mild winter. My peach and plum tree have already flowered and starting producing leaves. Is now a good time to fertilize?

thanks,
Austin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Peach and Plum tree now with early spring

We still aren't totally out of the woods yet.

I would stick to the schedule published by your local Extension office... You really don't want to push green growth before the "Last frost date".... Around here - it's Easter... This way - if we do get a late hard frost, it won't get hammered quite so badly..

Thanks

o

you're right, two days later it dropped back into the 30s.

o

If you fertilize during the bloom does that hurt the tree from seting fruit? I was always told to fertilize before
the tree blooms or it may hurt fruit set on the tree.
IS that true?

o

I have no idea, maybe someone on here does?

o

Fertilizing for fruit is before flowering like before last frost date in your area my last frost date Feb. 20th so I fertilize before that date don't use flower brake out as timing. The next fertilizing time at end fruit picking like when go out to pick last fruit off care fertilizer with you do it then this is for fruiting tree not one that you trying grow tree.

o

Normal fertilizing during flowering won't hurt fruit set. You'd have to apply massive amounts, enough to burn the roots or leaves.

If fertilizer hurt fruit set many would use it to thin the fruit. Foliar application of fish oil and other stuff including some fertilizers has been tried to reduce fruit set on peach. But it doesn't work very well and that's foliar in an attempt to burn the flowers.

o

Thanks for the responces on fertilizeing!
Big help!

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 11:16

What's a good type of fertilizer to use on fruit trees? 5-10-10? (I know a load of manure would be the best, but I have no easy way to get what I need to where I need it)

THanks!
Bart

o

Bart my trees like 10-10-10 the 13-13-13 makes to leggy. If 5-10-10 been working for you I would stay with that it question of how much new growth you need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here