Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry leaves burning

Posted by ahajmano Sun 23 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 14:27

Hello all,

came home from work yesterday, and I see my Heritage raspberry leaves that just started growing again last month, are burning. a few notes:

- The damage happened in the course of 1 day
- Plant should have sufficient water
- Weather has been very dry recently (17% humidity during the day)
- temperatures ranged from 80 in the peak day, to 40 at night.

Any ideas? Only my Heritage raspberry seems to be affected thus far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry leaves burning

Have you fertilized?

o

I have not, but the top soil is 50% native, 25% manure, 25% compost. Should have enough nutrients in there....

o

I was more wondering if it was fertilizer burn.apparently not:)

There are a few things that can cause the edges to burn.. Potassium deficiency, Water stress or roundup drift. I think some of the cane diseases can do that as well. How long have they been in that spot?

o

About a month. I got it in bare root.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 22:00

Bare root stock is subject to this issue during the first 6 months after planting. What happens is the plant leafs out, and begins to photosynthesize sugars, making demands on the root system for water and nutrient. Apparently, roots take longer to get established than leaves, so the roots can't keep up with the demand, and the result is what you see in the photo. One partial solution is no fertilizer during the first three or four months. Another partial solution is to partially shade the plant, so it receives less sunlight, for a week or two. I have had similar problems with blueberry transplants.

o

Rule out any herbicide sprays on yours or adjacent properties; root situation mentioned above is more likely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here