Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Is this cold damage on peach tree?

sunnibel7 Md 7
11 years ago

My compost heap peach tree is still alive and getting ready to bloom. I've been looking for answer to this question since I pruned it a while ago, but can't find anything on the internet that looks quite like it. The tips of many branches have these spots that don't look right to me. Some of them it seems like the terminal bud has died. And some of the smallest branches seem dried out in a manner that reminds me of the way fig trees lose branches to extra cold weather. Here's a not very good picture of an affected branch. I'll try to get a better photo later, but it is difficult to take one with my ipad in this breezy weather. Cheers!

Comments (13)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

sunnibel:

I've looked at your picture several times and am not really sure what to say. Usually damage on branch tips is cold injury. If you were in zone 4-5 that would be the easy conclusion even if wrong. But in zone 7 MD cold shouldn't be the issue unless it was an unusual year and I don't think that's been the case.

On the other hand I'm not aware of any diseases that would cause tips to die. I don't think those spots are an issue if that's your major concern.

You might spray some copper but I'm not sure if it's still safe. Copper sprays can be toxic to growing tissues especially if the concentration is too high.

Maybe someone else can help now that I've broken the ice.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Major gratitude! It was an unusual year, with a very warm December/early January (my crocuses bloomed in early January, normally they bloom in early March) that suddenly got cold. So maybe the tree was thinking about breaking dormancy then too and got frozen? I may still try to get another picture, yesterday was busy, today there is snow (also unusual), but tomorrow might be doable.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a slightly better picture, you can see the spots on the bark better and how the tip is dark and dry. I'm pretty satisfied with the diagnosis of freeze damage unless someone has a real strong opinion otherwise. Cheers!

• TWAR1
    11 years ago
  • olpea
    11 years ago

Sunnibel,

Like Fruitnut, I too was somewhat at a loss as to the dead shoots. It would seem strange for MD to have freeze damage on peaches.

My first thought at your photo was that perhaps the small shoots didn't get enough sun. Heavily shaded shoots will die like that on my trees. Other than that possibility, no idea.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, full sun. What about the sudden freeze causing damage to branches that weren't really dormant? Possible? It really was abnormally warm in late December, then typically cold by late January.

Edit:TWAR1, it does look just like mine. I think your picture shows the spottiness better. You must not be too far from me, it has been another funny winter, yet nothing like the last funny winter.

This post was edited by sunnibel7 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 21:45

• olpea
    11 years ago

If it is freeze damage, something in the soil or fruit growing culture is probably making the tree more susc. to freeze damage. It's not normal for trees to experience freeze damage in zone 7, even with a warm Dec. Did your January even get down to 0F?

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I don't think so, just the teens, though I live in a special spot that tends to be about 3-4 degrees colder than everywhere around us. That would only put us in the single digits, though. Here is a link to the January weather nearby. It actually went up and down a lot worse than I remembered.

What sort of soil/growing conditions would make a tree more succeptable to freeze damage than normal?

Here is a link that might be useful: January temps

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

sunnibel:

You had a couple big swings in temperature in January but nothing like out here on the high plains. In the last week we've had three nights mid 20s and now 75-80 the last three days. We get 50-60F swings EACH WEEK all winter. So far this month we've had a high of 82F and a low of 18F, during bloom. That knocks off all the fruit but won't cause any damage to the wood. I've grown fruit out here 40 years and haven't seen wood damage on peaches from cold weather.

That's zones 6 and 7. Coldest I've seen is -12F and no cold injury.

• olpea
    11 years ago

I agree with Fruitnut, I don't think it's winterkill.

Around here peach trees with poor drainage will collapse or sometimes enter a general state of decline with dead shoots like your picture. Other than that, I've got no clue.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm, well drainage isn't a problem here, ever. Sandy loam and even after a hurricane surface puddles are gone within an hour or two of the rain ceasing. What about rodent damage to the roots? The voles here get around a lot above and below ground. So far, though it still doesn't sound like disease, but physical damage, so I will keep an eye on it and keep trying to puzzle it out.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

sunnibel7,

I found a site that discusses peach winter kill; how to identify and causes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Peaches In Climate Zone 5

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, milehigh! I especially like the page before the last with the blooming orchard and "You Can Do It!"

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor