Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

What eats rhubarb leaves?

This year will be the 3rd year on my rhubarb plants and I'd really like to do something besides feed whatever the hell it is that eats the leaves every year. I haven't spotted the culprit(s) so I';m guessing it's something that feeds at nite(?).

tried BT assuming it was some type of caterpillar but no luck.

suggestions anyone? I do not have damage on any of the other plants in the same area (blueberry, onion, potatoes, peas, beans, & strawberries)

Comments (20)

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I see slugs on mine occasionally.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

That would be my guess, too.

• glib
    11 years ago

then bring also a quart yogurt container full of soapy water. Pick the slugs and drop them in the water, and keep them in water overnight. I used to pick one hundred a night off my vegetables, then after the first 1000 I bought a can of Sluggo.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

The only thing I have ever seen eating my rhubarb leaves is Japanese beetles and they seem to really love the leaves. I don't much care because it doesn't seem to harm the plant and at least they aren't eating something else like my roses! If the damage is occuring at night then I would also think slugs.
    Joann

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Both slugs and certain noctuid moth caterpillars (cutworms) will eat rhubarb leaves here. Easily spotted well after dark on the underside of leaves. They tend to camp out at the base of the plants and if the rhubarb supply is adequate, they might not venture out to nearby plants.

Slugs also tend to chew an elongated trench in the rhubarb stems.

Two or three diligent night-time plucking/drownings will cut down the population for at least this season.

• pinc06
    11 years ago

I've seen deer eating my rhubarb leaves. I can't really tell if the damage you have is small bugs chewing or just roughly bitten off to the stem area. If the latter it could be deer. Yes, I did warn her it wasn't good for her but she didn't listen. It was one of the few uncaged growing items at the time.

Pam in cinti

• TheDerek
    11 years ago

Slugs eat mine also... I think you can set a trap with beer in a can or something like that.

• northwoodswis4
    11 years ago

Something big enough to knock down the chicken wire ate mine. I assume it was deer. Northwoodswis

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds like slugs because I have also seen the "elongated trench" mentioned above. One more pest to learn how to control.

Everyone thx. for responses

• northernmn
    11 years ago

Yep, I betting it's slugs too. I have picked slugs off of my Rhubarb and my fruit plot isn't that far from your's oldrider.

• marc5
    11 years ago

Japanese beetles hit my rhubarb very hard during some summers. Sevin works wonders against them.

• tarbucky
    10 years ago

For slugs, you can trap them with beer in a container at ground level - you'll need to partially cover it so it doesn't get watered down from the sprinkler or rain. Stinky cheap beer is good, like Milwaukees Best or Olympia. Also save your egg shells. Crush them and put on the ground where snails are troublesome - they'll cut the snail when it slides over the sharp edges. I thought my rhubarb was being destroyed by earwigs but now I agree with everyone above and think it's slugs.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

slugs. use slug bait pellets which are poisonous to the slugs. However, holes in my rhubarb plants never bothered me since they are inedible and I just eat the stalks.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Agree Mrs G. I have slugs all over them but the plants grow great and I'm only concerned with the stalk, couldn't care less about holes in the leaves.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

...unless there becomes more hole than leaf, affecting stalk growth. This can occur when the leaves are still immature and are tucked into or under the mature leaf canopy.

• Jonathan Lackman
    8 years ago

Japanese Beatles will eat the heck out of Rhubarb. It's a listed food source for them at numerous bug identification sites.

• James Frederick
    6 years ago

I am not talking about a little bug eating a hole I am talking about something eating the leaf from the stalk. Coons, Deer?

• pinc06
    6 years ago

I have personally witnessed a deer eating my rhubarb leaves with great enjoyment. Ripped totally off the top of the stalks. Other animals could probably also do it, but I know for certain deer will do that.

pinc

• Veronika Perfilyeva
    2 years ago

Hi al! Some animal eats my flowers to the ground, tulips as well... not the bulbs just bitten to the ground and also rhubarb leaves and theeeen I find all what was bitten off sitting in a neat pile in the corner of my garden by the shed, never seen any animal during the day doing it, sprayed with garlic spray and put granules, and also stakes that buzz... nothing worked so far