Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to start peaches from seed?

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 14:28

I know stone fruits tend to need a long period of stratification to break dormancy. I still have 60 days on average until my last frost and am wondering if it will be worth it to try to start peaches from seed?

I am either going to stratify them in the fridge or pot them up, protect the pot from criters then bury it in the snow outside so they can be exposed to proper spring conditions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to start peaches from seed?

No..its not too late.

I do wonder where you are getting them from???

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 19:45

I would wait till the summer and get some Ontario fruit stuff that way you will have a better chance of getting a hardier plant.
make up a marked plot and plant directly into the soil after you have eaten the entire basket and wait for spring to roll around.
glenn

o

Hey frank..... I got them from superstore a canadian chain of grocery store. They are tree ripe yellow peaches from chile. They are disgusting lol. Just look treated for slow ripening or were frozen. Still going to use the pits.

Glenn... that is always my intention. I unfortunately missed the season last year. They arent supposed to be hardy here so I need as many as I can get for trials.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 13:57

It would be nice if some others would post some pics and updates on their seedling "stuff". I will post some pics of some other seedling trees I have growing here. I have lots of space so there are various seedlings of peach, plum apricot, apple etc. A good number produce fantastic fruit while others not so fantastic, but in any event they have proven to be hardy here so they get to stay:)
I encourage anyone with the room and patience to grow some seed out.....you may stumble on a real gem!
I posted a link of a thread from a couple of years ago. They produced some fantastic fruit again last year and hoping for some again this year. It was a real test winter this year, really long cold then big warm up then really cold .......still really cold now!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0820041119336.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here