Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limequat that never blooms

Posted by littlegreen Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 14:44

Our limequat is about 8 years old and has never bloomed or bore fruit. The small tree looks really healthy and gets new leaf growth every year. My suspicion is that the tree is growing from below the point from where the limequat was grafted on, but it is difficult to tell from looking at it. Any ideas? I am ready to dig up this tree in order to plant a tree that actually bears fruit, but my bff maintains that eventually this limequat will be productive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limequat that never blooms

It's pretty important to keep all the growth beneath the graft cut down... If you don't - the Rootstock takes over and can even "Prune" the graft off... resulting in a dead graft...

Generally, cultivated citrus don't have TONS of gigantic spines all over them... Many rootstocks do (That can be 1 indicator)... but if you see really vigorous, spiny stuff sprouting from near the ground - chop it without fear... Especially if the tree in question has no spines...

Unfortunately, my previous luck with Citrus down in South Florida is that far too many take 8-10 years to bear... and that can be frustrating - especially when you wait SOOO long and then find out that it produces low quality fruit or it's not what you expected...

Anyway - you could check out the UC Extension Service to see if they have some info brochures... Make sure you also get a good soil test, as sometimes, soil mineral deficiencies can manifest as no blooms

Thanks

o

Thank you John_in_sc! That is good info. Thanks for taking the time to write.

o

I have two limequats and they produce fruit at an early age. As John said some citrus take forever to produce. My grapefruit just this spring has bloomed for the first time and this is it's 8 th year in ground. Grapefruit are notorious for taking forever......the limequats bear young. Are you sure it is a limequat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here