Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overlapping grape vines

Posted by blaferby CA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:45

I have 3 year old grape vines on a 20' long trellis; 3 plants spaced 10' apart with support stakes in the middle of each section. I have read that the arms coming out of the vines should meet but not overlap each other. This is also what I see in the multitude of vineyards around our town of Lodi, CA. I'm wondering if anyone might know the reason for this? They are currently overlapping but can be cut back if needed. My wife is of the mind that they will produce more fruit with more length, i.e., overlapping as they are now. I'm not sure. Also, the 3 plants are different varieties.
Ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overlapping grape vines

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 18:10

Overlapping will be crowded, reduce airflow, keep leaves wet, reduce light penetration for fruit development, and be more conducive to fungal growth.

o
RE: overlapping grape vines

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 18:33

It really won't hurt anything in your dry climate but it won't increase the yield either because the plants are competing with each other. If you want to increase yield make the trellis longer or wider. Yield is proportional to amount of sunlight intercepted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here