Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutations, striped cherries, [Video]

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:46

Found these striped cherries from Switzerland, caused by a mutation, ...the farmer said, he's uncle seen this in 1984 and grafted more trees. It's normally a black cherry, [Schauenburger] ..it can revert back to "normal" on some branches,..end of the video.
Love the countryside, I'm getting homesick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Striped Cherries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutations, striped cherries, [Video]

Alright konrad I put up with the envy when I saw your metal shop, but to show me a video that looks interesting that I can't understand a word of is just plain mean.

o

LOL,..didnt' mean to.

o

Fascinating video, Konrad, thanks for sharing. I see in one of the comments that there is another grower who is also successfully growing another striped mutant cherry (Hedelfingerbaum). Sure would love scionwood of either or both! And, those are some really large cherry trees! Konrad, are you originally from Switzerland, you mention you're "homesick"?

Patty S.

o

Yes, I grew up on a farm.

As you might know,..up here in the cold, sweet cherries are not hardy,..fruiting buds will die at around minus 32C. So, I get my cherry fix with videos only!

Found another cherry video,..should be easier on Raven

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting, mechanical

o

I wonder how many passes they do through the orchard.

Sure would like one of those to keep the squirrels out of the tree. Looks like a great giant baffle.

o

Wow, not only did I love the video of the striped cherries, the cherry picking machine was incredible. There still seemed like a lot of waste on the ground with the cherry machine, however the abundance of cherries was huge!!!! It looks as if the cherries were really getting bumped and bruised. Are these for 'Kirchewasser;? I hope so! Mrs. G

o

Some for sure, Mrs. G..all mechanical picked are for processing.
Here another, from the Niagara/Canada region

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Processing in the Niagara Region video

o

I love this apple picker, made in Austria.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obstler

o

Thank you

o

All of the picking machines are quite remarkable. Konrad you need an Obstler!

o

Now, I'm not so sure anymore if I like the Obstler after watching this, similar contraption made in Germany, puncturing all apples with steel pins,...probably the same with the Obstler?

The guy at the apple press said that it doesn't matter, they get more damaged when they fall down. I guess when apples get processed within a day or two and juice pasteurized it should be OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedgehog Picker

o

As long as the apples are for cider the machine is excellent. Can you process your cider within two days?

o

Yes but my juice is not pasteurized, all juice comes from picked apples.
Guess could use the hedgehog for animal food.

o

Which one you like better, ..Hedgehog or Obstler?

o

Obstler. It looks stronger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here