Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions of these varieties

Posted by john_in_sc z7, upstate SC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 14:55

Hey guys,

I want to try out some different stuff this year... Here's what I am thinking...

Give me your opinions....
Taste? Astringency?
Good for cooking? Eating out of hand?
Disease/pests?

Goumi - Sweet Scarlet
Autumn Olive - Portuguese Superhero
Aronia - Viking
Gogi - Phoenix Tears
Blueberry - Reubel
Cornelian Cherry - Redstone

Thanks

This post was edited by john_in_sc on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 14:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions of these varieties

I have Rubel blueberry, its OK, low acid sort of bland. Good for cooking though since there is higher skin ratio due to small size. Unless its just for cooking I would get one of the newer southern highbush types instead.

Scott

o

Interesting... That's kinda weird... as it's advertised all over as "Super high in antioxidants" and "Strong flavor"... which would usually indicate sour/acidic....

But... I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating, isn't it.... I read descriptions of Red Haven peach being low/sub acid and I think to myself.... "Either all the Red Haven's in the South are mismarked - or they have never had one..."

If it's bland and watery... I am just going to put in another Rabbit Eye of some sort or another.... They seem to do well in my Battery Acid soil...

Thanks

o

Rubel is an ooooooooold variety. Get a newer one.
Check one green world for your cornelians. They have better selections. What catalog are you looking at?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here