Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skopi_gw

Pixie Crunch Lil Big spread

skopi
10 years ago

How much spread does a Pixie Crunch Lil Big get? I am planting relatively near my neighbor's fence and would prefer to not have it over their yard.

I bought it from Henry Fields (because I didn't know of a better option).

Comments (8)

• Tony
    10 years ago

Skopi,

This is what I can find on line. You can always prune it to the size that you can reach the fruits.

Tony

Botanical Name: Malus Domestica
    Height: 22 - 25 feet.
    Spacing: 20' all directions
    Depth: Graft or bud union should be just above the soil line. Look for plant depth indicator.
    Spread: 20 feet.
    Sun/Shade: Sun.
    Pollinator: Sundance, Liberty, Gala, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious.
    Yield: 10+ bushels at maturity.
    Color: Medium red.
    Blooms: Early to mid season.
    Fruit: Medium red, medium size fruit, (with proper thinning), elongated round in shape. Flavor is super sweet, incredibly crisp and very juicy.
    Form: Spreading, twiggy.
    Soil Requirements: Good well drained, deep soil that is reasonably fertile.
    Growth Rate: Weak vigor.
    Pruning: There are normally two goals when pruning an apple tree: 1. Initially on young trees to encourage a strong, solid framework. 2. On mature trees, to maintain shape and encourage fruit production. The best time to prune apple trees is in late Winter or v
    Comments: U.S. Patent No. 13871 A newly named Exclusive from Purdue. It was introduced in 2001. The tree is a small sized version of Rome Beauty and easily managed. Quick to bear, annually productive like Goldrush. The texture is similar to Honeycrisp but this one is much sweeter.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Tony,

Thanks for posting that. I have a Pixie Crunch and haven't looked at the patent info.

Li'l Big is a dwarf tree marketed by Gurneys. My understanding is they use EMLA27/M27 rootstocks for their Li'l Big trees.

I don't have any experience with M27.

• creekweb
    10 years ago

I have this tree but it is too small yet to comment on its mature size. It is on an M27 rootstock which can be planted every 3 to 5 feet, so half that distance would be a reasonable distance to plant from their fence.

• rweissman
    10 years ago

From reading the catalogs, Lil Big appears to just be Field's name for trees on dwarf rootstock. Without knowing which rootstock it's hard to give as accurate answer, but it will likely be closer to nine feet than twenty.

• skopi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. When I get it, I will have to see if they identify the rootstock on it and presumably there is a resource somewhere to give me more info on that specific rootstock

• rawley_gw
    10 years ago

Skopi,

The rootstock on Lil Big trees from Gurney's or Henry Fields is M27. The tree will have a maximum height between 6-9 ft and about a 6-8 ft spread. The size of the tree is dependent on how early you let the tree fruit. If you let the tree fruit heavily early on, then the tree will be significantly stunted and may only reach 4 ft tall. This tree will also need to be permanently staked due to the M27 rootstock.

Have fun with your tree!

Ron

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I have 3 M27 trees entering their 4th season. It is one of the most dwarfing apple rootstocks. I measured yesterday and of the 3 trees, only one has a somewhat long branch (a single 3.5' branch). The rest of the branches on all 3 trees are 1.5-2.5' long. I let all 3 fruit early, so that could contribute to two of them being just over 4' tall, with the 3rd around 7'.

So as long as you are willing to prune a bit, a 2-3' gap should be enough (you probably don't want the branches pressed into the fence- not good for airflow).

• bencjedi
    10 years ago

I bought two Gold Rush Lil'Bigs last winter at Gurneys and let them fruit last year. I got seven big apples. The trees reached almost 6ft tall, so I cut the leader 'trunk' down to 5ft on each. I don't want them being any taller. Will they hold at 5ft? I'm glad I inadvertently let them fruit last year because I would prefer to keep them short in my tiny garden. I received the Pixie Crunch Lil'Big I ordered a month ago yesterday. I suspect I should do the same thing next winter if it gets taller?