Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seek info on rare grape varieties

Posted by spoonlegs 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 15:01

I picked up some rare varieties yesterday (cuttings) that for which I haven't been able to find any descriptions: Arkansas 1367, Arkansas Blue 51369, Nancy, and NY 48. Anybody have any info on these or where to look?

I've checked UC Davis National Grape Registry, which was helpful for two other grapes I couldn't find elsewhere, but not these three.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seek info on rare grape varieties

Nick Botner lists a couple of them on his scion list--maybe you could ask him??

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.slant.com/orchard/Botner 2009 List.PDF

o

Dear Spoonlegs,

Did you ever get any more information on Arkansas 1367 or
Arkansas Blue 51369? Are they more Labrusca or Vinifera?

o

I have lost track of the Arkansas Blue 51369; maybe the cutting failed, and I lost interest.

I believe I overheard someone say, recently, that Arkansas 1367, a blue grape, is one of the few ( or only ? ) of the Arkansas line that matures in our shorter cooler growing season (Western Oregon).

Here's a photo from my garden, of a grape grown from a cutting labeled "Arkansas Blue 1367". From the leaf's texture, coppery new growth, and the leaf underside's almost powdery white fine hairs with coppery highlights, I think it's more Vitis labrusca. Do you know of another way to tell?

o

It is a hybrid grape so probably they only way to say whether it is closer to vinifera or labrusca in taste is to taste it.

Glad to hear that it is a early ripener. I heard from a friend of Nick Botner's that it is one of his personal favorites.

I found this page that indicates that it has Lakemont
and Lady Patricia in its lineage:

http://chateaustripmine.info/Breeders/UArk.htm

Anyway I guess you'll have to wait a couple of years to see
how it tastes....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here