Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shredded office paper as mulch or compost

Posted by mes111 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 15:04

In my office I shred alot of paperwork. Basically what is shredded are stale contracts, proposals, confidential docs etc.

It is all basically clean copy paper. No color paper, no newspaper just run of the mill office mail.

I WAS WONDERING. It is too light to just lay on the ground, but either composting or mixing it in with the shredded pine mulch is doable.

Any negatives to this????
THANX
MIKE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shredded office paper as mulch or compost

I've been using shredded office paper I'm my compost for quite awhile and never had any problems. Good luck

o

I've used shredded green bar and shredded checks before. Both worked well, however they are also light and blowable. Spent a couple months with little strips of paper all over the yard.

o

Funky, Bee

Thanx, I will try two things with the shredded office paper.
1. I have a compost bin with chicken wire sides which should hold in the paper shreds.
2. A friend is giving me a worm factory. He says that I can mix the stuff in there and will get fantastic worm castings in no time.

Mike

o

If you are in a part of the country that gets winter rain but is short on water during the growing season you can use gutter water during rain season to get the stuff soaking wet and bury it shallow as water reservoir for favored plants.

Here in NY it will function for a few years in this capacity before breaking down (I have a small "dry" nursery, meaning no irrigation) and have used junk mail for this purpose. Where it gets more chance for soil to dry out and where the soil is generally warmer it will break down more quickly which will reduce water storage but improve soil.

o

Harvestman

I live in Nassau County but I have a place in Greene County about 35 miles south of Albany.

My fruit trees (55-60 various fruits) are upstate. I keep throwing out bags and bags of the stuff from my office. I thought to put it to better use.

Where is your nursery?

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here