Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Flavor Treat Pluot Info

Just looking for a good description of this pluot. I was able to order one through our CRFG special order, and I wanted to update my spreadsheet, but can't seem to find a good description on DWN's site. Need basic info, bloom times, harvest times, needing a cross-pollinator, CH, etc. Thanks for any info someone can give me, or point me to?

Patty S.

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Patty:

It blooms on the later side of the pluots and needs all the cross pollination it can get. It has set anywhere from 50-300% of what I'd like on the tree. Looks like I'm in the 200-300% range this year with hand pollination only. Ripens a couple weeks after Flavor Finale but is ripe enough to eat before that. It's dark skinned, yellow flesh, firm, meaty, very large, and often 20-26 brix. It's much more durable than Flavor Finale which goes soft if left too long on the tree. I've eaten them as late as Dec and my harvest schedule is two weeks ahead of Fresno. But mostly I save them for Oct-Nov.

Picture is Flavor Treat in December including cut fruit surrounding one piece of Flavor Grenade.

PS: I measured that chipped plate and it's 7 5/8 inch diameter.

{{gwi:78225}}

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 16:00

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, fruitnut. Okay, wow. That's LATE. Even late for my neck of the woods, which can provide warm temps well into December. I might be able to squeeze it into my second stone fruit area, where I have a Dapple Dandy pluot and a Burgundy plum (as well as my Sweet Treat pluerries). Will bloom times coincide with any of those, fruitnut? Beautiful fruit, btw, thanks for the lovely photo!

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 16:19

11 years ago

Patty:

You should be covered on pollination. You're about to match my selection. I'm late getting into an Emerald Beaut, after a mixup and dead tree. That and Flavor Grenade are the latest/longest holding fruits. But Flavor Grenade has only held up that late if grown at minimal water level to give a hard high brix fruit.

I don't know what any of this means outdoors in socal but hopefully you'll tell us soon.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, so far, I'm having a great blossom year overall. My Flavor Finale and Flavor King pluots are full of blossoms and are blossoming at the same time. My Bellagold peacotum is just starting to bloom now, but is supposed to be self-fruitful (but the label also says that it is cross-pollinated by Flavor Grenade, which I don't have). I'm getting to blossom drop on about 1/2 of what I've got, and it looks like I'll have apricots, a few apriums, (not as great a blossom set with the apriums, but some are newer than the apricots), great necatrine and peach set (no surprise there), probably close to 100% cherry set on the Minnie Royal and Royal Lee which is really great, and still waiting on the plums and pluots. Poor fruit set on my Desert Delight nectarine. This is my earliest blooming & breaking stone fruit. So, not sure what is causing the fruit not to set well - colder temps, bees not busy (it's self-fruitful), or just a function of the cultivar. I only have about 10 set fruit on that tree, and this is its 3 year in the ground. We'll see how it does next year. Now, to keep the rats and ground squirrels out of the trees, as well as the snails. They're all much worse than birds here for me. Still netting the cherries though.

Patty S.

11 years ago

This is the second year in a row of poor set on Bella Gold. I hand pollinated all I could with apricot pollen. Should have thrown in some pluot/plum I guess. On top of that the fruit last year didn't measure up and the tree looks awful late in the year. Right now the leaves look great but it has a virus look by late summer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

My Bellagold is the latest of all my stone fruits, too, fruitnut. But, I will say this year the leaves look much, much healthier. And, I actually will have about 20 or 30 blossoms. That's 20 or 30 more than I had last year :-) So, we'll see if those blossoms can pop open before all the other pluot blossoms are gone. Now, supposedly it is self-fruitful, but frankly I think this is just a "pushing the envelope" interspecific. If the fruit is decent, I'll keep it just for the novelty of it. And, I also suspect it is better suited to very warm, mild areas (like my climate), so hopefully it will perform better this year. I might try grafting a Dapple Dandy into the tree and see if that helps.

Patty S.